Hamilton, Ontario , L8M 1K8
Benediction Community Church (BCC) seeks a Worship Director (WD) for a contract position to start as soon as possible, and requiring approximately 12 hours per week. The WD will report to and be mentored as needed by the lead pastor.
Benediction is a new (approx. 5yrs old), growing church plant in downtown Hamilton, Ontario learning to practice the way of Jesus together. A benediction is literally a ‘good word’ and it’s our aim to be an embodied benediction by blessing our community, that it might be in each other’s lives - and in Hamilton - as it is in heaven. Our community is accepting, hospitable, diverse, and a lot of fun. The majority of us are millennials, with a few Gen X and the odd Boomer.
Belonging in BCC is expressed in two main rhythms: We scatter as Faith Families to share community, discipleship, and mission through meals, Bible and prayer huddles, and neighbour love. We also gather for weekly worship at Word and Table. During the pandemic, Word and Table happened online live via Zoom, while our Faith Families were suspended. As we continue our recovery from Covid, we seek a creative, self-motivated, servant-hearted, Gospel-centred man or woman to own the planning and implementation of Word and Table — a lead worshipper who helps us re-engage authentically with God.
- Our ideal WD is an artist, shepherd, musician, organizer, theologian, neighbour, and an engaged Hamiltonian. S/he has a growing relationship with God, and is learning to believe what Jesus believed, love what Jesus loved, and give time to what Jesus did. S/he meets the qualifications for deacons in 1Tim 3:8-13.
- Our ideal WD appreciates voices from diverse theological traditions, and is comfortable quoting Tim Keller, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Charlie Dates, Henri Nouwen, Jennifer Wilkin, C.S. Lewis, Aimee Byrd, Eugene Peterson, Fleming Rutledge, Christopher Yuan, Bridget Eileen Rivera, Soong-Chan Rah, Brian Zahnd, Rachel Held Evans, N.T. Wright, Sam Alberry, Rosaria Butterfield, and Bradley Jersak. Our WD knows that a quote isn’t an endorsement of all they’ve ever said or done
- Our ideal WD is a competent musician, confident leading a congregation instrumentally and vocally.
- Theological Education and experience on a church staff are assets, but not required.
- The WD will be in essential agreement with the doctrine + practice of the Associated Gospel Churches of Canada, of which BCC is a member congregation. The WD may obtain an AGC ministry certificate and claim the clergy residence deduction.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Liturgies: In consultation with the pastor, WD will shape the worship event with liturgical elements such as on-screen visuals, preludes / postludes, calls to worship, prayers, songs, lyric slides, video, in-room art installations, and benedictions. Our liturgy borrows from many new and old traditions; in the same way, the WD will have considerable discretion to create and implement worship plans that bless the community and exalt Jesus.
- Music: Our ideal WD will lead us in worship regularly, if not weekly. By his/her song choices, arrangements, and leadership, s/he creates an environment where authentic worship happens quite naturally.
- Seasonal Liturgies: Worship events will at times link to the Christian calendar (e.g., Advent, Lent). Sometimes, significant moments will require liturgies like Black + Indigenous history, Mental Health, Graduations, Dedications, etc.
- Administration: The WD will have access to such tools and software as Planning Centre, Proclaim, CCLI Song Select, Google Docs, Apple Keynote, Zoom, AnchorFM, SquareSpace, and social media. Any necessary training will be provided.
- People: The WD (and their family, if applicable) will participate in the BCC community as a member and leader. They will recruit, schedule, and mentor lay volunteers in the use of their gifts, and be above reproach with those in their care.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email your cover letter and resume (PDF format) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include at least two references who can speak of observed, relevant ministry experience, competence, and character.
Please note: BCC is an equal opportunity employer that recruits and compensates regardless of colour, gender, national origin, age, or other protected status as required by law in Canada. For more information visit us online
Posted Under: Pastoral - Music
Career ID: [ 10617 ]