Housing Support Worker
Housing Support Worker
The Mustard Seed’s Mission is to build hope and wellbeing for our most vulnerable citizens through Jesus’ love.
The Mustard Seed Edmonton is committed to helping people who are homeless transition toward and maintain sustainable and healthy lifestyles. The Housing Support Worker is a member of a team that provides housing and facilitates support services for 20 high-acuity persons experiencing multiple barriers, who require the support of Permanent Supportive Housing (PSH).
The main role of the Housing Support Worker will be to provide case management services, assist clients with daily living skills, connecting to community resources and other day to day tasks as needed. The Housing Support worker will work with the Housing team to provide ongoing addiction and mental health support. The Housing Support Worker will be working onsite at the residence which functions within a harm reduction model.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Meet with clients housed in The Mustard Seed apartment units on an on-going weekly basis,
• Provide ongoing client support with daily living skills and managing tenancy,
• Document client interactions, service plans and client progress in Efforts to Outcomes (ETO),
• Provide addiction support using harm reduction philosophy and strategies,
• Act as an advocate to assist clients with accessing community resources and external supports,
• Provide crisis intervention, as necessary,
• Provide input into program development and community resources ,
• Attend scheduled team meetings and training sessions,
• Develop and maintain effective working relationships within The Mustard Seed and with external agencies,
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
• A passion to be part of ending homelessness in Alberta,
• Degree/Diploma in Human Services field and two years of related work experience,
• Experience with case management is considered a strong asset,
• Minimum one year work experience working with those experiencing homelessness; direct experience with Housing First initiatives considered a strong asset
• Knowledge of Edmonton’s community resources,
• Preference given to those with experience working with mental health and/or addictions,
• Demonstrated competency and ability to practice crisis intervention,
• Ability to de-escalate and problem solve with individuals under the influence and/or struggling with a mental health crisis,
• Ability to establish and maintain rapport with culturally diverse clients, including a familiarity with First Nations culture,
• Excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively communicate with clients, members of a team, and community agencies,
• Excellent organizational and time management skills,
• A self-starter with the ability to work in a cross-functional team,
• Ability to accomplish goals with minimal supervision,
• Willingness to submit to an employment security check.
• Proficient computer skills (Microsoft Office Programs); experience with Efforts to Outcomes (ETO) an asset; Knowledge of FOIP and ability to observe confidentiality standards
• Full-time permanent position, 40 hours a week Full time, day and evening shifts as assigned (7:00 -15:00 or 15:00 -23:00)
• The position will require ongoing compassionate care, minimal physical effort, conflict resolution and organizational ability while working directly with an at risk population
• This position requires varied mental and emotional effort and must be able to respond appropriately to intense situations
• Driver’s Abstract, Employment Security Check and Vulnerable Sector Check is required
• Valid Driver’s License (Class 5) and access to a reliable vehicle is required
• As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
• The Mustard Seed embraces the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation
• Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
Start date: Immediate
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com specifying Position Title and Location in the subject line.
The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, and flex days.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 4028 ]