The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services - food, clothing and housing, and support services – education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta.
The Mustard Seed is growing, and is seeking a development professional with a proven fundraising experience to join our team. This is a newly created position. It is an exciting and rewarding career opportunity for an emerging development professional to join the organization.
The successful candidate will be a high achiever with a solid understanding of Calgary’s philanthropic landscape, the organization’s cause, and thrive in a dynamic team-focused environment.
Reporting to the Major Gifts Manager (Calgary), the Development Coordinator is responsible for supporting The Mustard Seed’s Major Gifts program by assisting in the cultivation of relationships with individual and corporate donors who provide gifts $5,000+, as well as initiating and sustaining related Calgary donor stewardship activities. This position will provide support to Major Gift initiatives, assist in preparing grant applications, maintain accurate donor records and facilitate donation processing in collaboration with Donor Relations and Development Services teams. The incumbent will be responsible for helping develop and grow the Major Gift program.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Support the Major Gifts Manager and Calgary Development team in the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of individual, corporate, church, foundation and association donors annually contributing $5,000+, with the goal of increasing donor commitment and donation revenue year-over-year
• Work in collaboration with Volunteer Resources to provide leadership on financial donations associated with the meal sponsorship program
• Work with staff and volunteers to plan and implement an effective Donor Stewardship program, with the goal of achieving a high donor renewal rate and monthly donor conversion rate
• Create, execute and maintain engagement strategies for major donors
• Coordinate and facilitate regular Relationship Management Meetings
• Assist with direct major gifts tasks
• Work with senior staff to identify key major donor giving opportunities, write opportunity proposals and support senior staff, the Development Advisory Committee and board members in solicitation and stewardship activities
• Work with the Major Gifts Manager to support the Development program through effective and intentional gift acknowledgement and stewardship including the creation of personalized thank you letters, impact reports, and personal correspondence where appropriate
• Assist the Major Gifts Manager in establishing quarterly projections and report progress to the CDO and CEO
• Under the direction of the Major Gifts Manager and CDO, establish and meet donor acquisition and gift increase targets
• Plan and manage donor stewardship events
• Represent The Mustard Seed to the corporate sector and identify donation and sponsorship opportunities
• Apply corporate screen to all new business prospects
• Directly solicit donations, including in-kind, upgrades from existing and new business donors
• Utilize Salesforce, our CRM/donor management database to: maintain accurate, up-to-date tracking of all major gift prospects and donors and appropriate documentation of all gifts, contacts, and calendars
• Create and execute plans to increase the rate of renewal amongst first-time donors to The Mustard Seed
• Include planned giving as part of moves management strategy for major donors, identifying planned giving prospects from existing database
• Support volunteer involvement within the Development department
• Support the Major Gifts team with day-to-day tasks, and with prospect management for larger campaigns
• Assist with the preparation of grant applications
• Maintain accurate donor records and facilitate donation processing in collaboration with Donor Relations team
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
• Post-secondary education, with preference given to an applicant with 1 to 3 years of experience in fundraising within a non-profit environment
• A personal passion for serving people in need, and a strong ability to communicate that passion to others
• A skill for building relationships with internal and external stakeholders
• Customer service experience is an asset: two years in customer service role is preferred
• Superior interpersonal, written and oral communications skills: making presentations and public speaking skills, good listening and negotiation skills
• Proficient experience with MS Office (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and online search tools
• Experience with Salesforce, Raiser’s Edge or other fundraising database software is an asset
• Proficient research skills
• Sound judgment and decision-making capabilities and the ability to work independently and collaboratively
• An energetic self-starter who can work independently and within a dynamic team environment, managing multiple projects and adhering to strict deadlines
• Demonstrated drive and initiative to accomplish results
• Full-time, 40 hours per week. Flexibility as some evening and weekend work will be required.
• Work in an office environment, with frequent opportunities to attend meetings and events throughout the city.
• Fast paced environment and requires moderate mental effort.
• Some travel required. A valid Class 5 driver’s license and access to a vehicle required.
• Employment Security Check is required
• As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
• The Mustard Seed embraces the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation.
• Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
Start date: Immediate
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org specifying Position Title and Location in the subject line.
The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, and flex days for permanent Full Time Staff
Posted Under: Fundraising
Career ID: [ 4081 ]