Street Level Worker - PT
Street Level Worker - PT
The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services - food, clothing and housing, and support services – education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta.
As a member of the Street Level Team, Street Level worker has a broad working knowledge of all areas of The Mustard Seed’s Basic Services. This position will support the activities of the Food Depot, Drop-In, Evening Meal, Main Floor Program and/or Personal Assistance Centre (PAC), and are supervised by the Front Line supervisor.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Fulfil the mission of The Mustard Seed’s ministry and maintain a high level of professionalism, respect and gratitude with all staff, donors, volunteers, community participants and visitors
• Create a safe and healthy environment for all participants
• Work with community participants to encourage positive changes in lifestyle and behavior through positive day -to-day interactions
• Create opportunities for volunteers to learn about and contribute to the mission and vision of The Mustard Seed.
• Foster meaningful relationships with supervisors, co-workers, volunteers and community participants
• Ensure daily tidiness and cleanliness of work area
• Ability to function in high - risk and high - pressure situations and respond quickly to individuals in crisis. Identify the crisis, minimize the harm to the individual and others, use de - escalation skills and assist the individual to explore options
• Model healthy relationships with community participants and volunteers by listening, counseling, praying, and referring
• Assist community participants to access The Mustard Seed services available in the Drop-In programs and activities
• Communicate the story of The Mustard Seed’s ministry and community to volunteers, visitors, and donors.
• Support and direct the Street Level volunteers in assigned service area, communicating frequently with volunteers to ensure they are satisfied and understanding The Mustard Seed’s services and policies.
• Assist with the kitchen meal program when necessary
• Contribute to the creation, development and implementation of programs within the drop-in.
• Brief, de-brief and pray with both staff and volunteer groups as needed
• Maintain specific records; like stats, volunteers and incident reports on log books and computer files
• Maintain proper radio communication at all TMS facilities
• Participate in all staff training and attend monthly general meetings and support meetings with supervisor
• Other duties and site related duties may be assigned when required
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
• Experience working within the culture of the inner city and/or with the less fortunate is preferred
• A demonstrated passion to be involved in ending homelessness in Alberta is essential
• Proactive self-starter characteristics
• A team player, who works collaboratively and has a “teachable spirit”
• Strong conflict resolution skills
• Good knowledge of MS Word, Excel and Outlook
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Experience working in a fast- paced environment
• Knowledge of mental illness and addictions is an asset
• Experience working in a volunteer - based organization is considered an asset
• Part-time, hourly shift work
• Availability to work during the week and Saturdays, including afternoon and evening shifts
• The position will require ongoing compassionate care, frequent manual labor, conflict resolution and organizational ability
• This position is often fast - paced, and requires moderate amount of mental effort to analyze information and problem solve
• Considerable periods of standing, walking, indoors and outdoors
• Moderate physical effort and must be able to lift 25 pounds
• Vulnerable Sector and Employment Security Check is required
• As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
• The Mustard Seed embraces the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation
• Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
Start date: Immediate
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com specifying Position Title and Location in the subject line.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 4085 ]