The Family Life Centre is hosting a Marriage Preparation course for engaged couples. Registered Psychotherapists Wilma and Stephen will be walking couples through the assessments along with talking about a number of related topics.
Street Level Worker - Winter Warming
Street Level Worker - Winter Warming
The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services - food, clothing and housing, and support services – education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta.
Mosaic Centre (MC) and The Neighbour Centre (TNC), locations of The Mustard Seed (TMS), work to build healthy and supportive relationships with our community participants experiencing homelessness and poverty. They are primarily sites where people can find resources, companionship, compassion, and the opportunity to grow and use their skills.
Responsible to the MC & TNC Shift Leads, Winter Emergency Support (WER) Street Level Workers assist community participants in accessing resources, and maintain a safe and welcoming environment where participants and volunteers become a life-giving community that nurtures hope, health, and transformation.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Fulfil the mission of The Mustard Seed’s ministry and maintain a high level of professionalism, respect and gratitude with all staff, donors, volunteers, community participants and visitors
• Ensure a safe and welcoming atmosphere. Cultivate a life-giving community where participants – both those experiencing poverty and those serving as staff and volunteers – work together to realize their full potential
• Build healthy relationships with community participants who are accessing services by actively listening, providing resources and referrals, de-escalating conflict, maintaining healthy boundaries, and seeking opportunities for involvement and engagement
• Function in high-risk pressure situations and respond quickly to individuals in crisis. Identify the crisis, minimize the harm to the individual and others, use de-escalation skills and assist the individual to explore their options
• Problem solve, support and empower fellow staff members, and proactively communicate issues and concerns to Shift Lead
• Assure the availability and quality of Centre resources and services
• Assure the cleanliness and order of the Centre
• Maintain the confidentiality of community participant’s personal information
• Maintain specific records, stats and incident reports in log books and computer files
• Participate in all staff training and attend monthly general meetings
• Other duties and site related duties may be assigned when required
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
• A demonstrated understanding of the issues contributing to poverty
• Minimum of one year related experience working with individuals facing mental health, addictions, chronic illness, homelessness, poverty and related challenges. Equivalent experience will be considered
• Post-secondary degree or diploma or experience in human services field with a background in social work, counselling, or addictions an asset
• Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, result oriented, applied time management, strong organizational and problem-solving skills
• Excellent de-escalation and conflict resolution skills
• Highly motivated, compassionate, creative and responsible person
• First Aid, Non-violent Crisis Intervention and Suicide Intervention Training an asset
• Familiarity with data entry, Excel and Outlook and ability to respond to emails in a timely manner
• This is a temporary part-time, hourly position from November 2017 to April 2018.
• Shifts will vary – mornings, afternoons & evenings, seven days a week.
• The position will require ongoing compassionate care, frequent manual labor, conflict resolution and organizational ability
• Moderate physical effort required. Considerable periods of standing, walking, cleaning, sorting and typing; mainly indoors and some outdoors
• High mental effort required to preemptively identify and asses conflict, problem solve, maintain healthy boundaries, and provide empathetic support for community participants facing extreme personal struggles
• Employment Security Check is required
• As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
• Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
Start date: Immediate
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Apply online using our Position Application Form on our Careers page. (https://themustardseedhr.wufoo.eu/forms/position-application-form/)
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 4479 ]