The Family Life Centre is hosting a Marriage Preparation course for engaged couples. Registered Psychotherapists Wilma and Stephen will be walking couples through the assessments along with talking about a number of related topics.
Follow-up Support Worker
Follow-up Support Worker
The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services—food, clothing and housing, and support services—education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta.
The Follow-up Support Worker (FSW) is part of an Intensive Case Management Team that will provide community based support to participants connected to a Housing First Program.
Reporting to the Housing Director, the FSW provides client- centered care, landlord support and connection to mainstream services. They will be responsible for meeting one on one with clients on a regular basis to assist with goal setting, accessing supports and enhancing life skills to help them move towards sustainable independence. This will require a broad spectrum of supports that will vary from participant to participant, the FSW will have a strong focus on client support related to maintaining participant tenancy.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain an active caseload, meet with clients on an on-going basis through home visits
- Work with the client to develop a client recovery plan that is strength based and grounded in the principles of Housing First and Harm Reduction, monitor client progress towards goals
- Maintain working knowledge of relevant community resources and supports
- Actively connect clients with internal and external community supports
- Advocate on behalf of clients
- Attend appointments with clients and provide referrals as needed
- Provide crisis intervention, as necessary
- Maintain relevant, timely and accurate documentation, including data entry into ETO
- Attend all team meetings, work collaboratively with the Housing Team and external client supports
- Maintain client confidentiality and clear boundaries,
- Life skills coaching focusing on budgeting, nutrition, employment and other areas as identified by client
- Maintain positive relations with the landlord and communicate landlord expectations to participants
- Provide written and verbal reports as requested
- Active involvement in other duties and responsibilities as determined by the Housing Manager
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Undergraduate degree in Social Work or related field is preferred
- Experience working with clients at risk; direct experience with Housing First initiatives and previous case management considered a strong asset
- Understanding of barriers related to mental health, addiction, trauma and poverty
- Understanding of Housing First and Harm Reduction principles
- Able to maintain healthy boundaries, communicate care, and provide professional referrals
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and documentations skills
- Well-developed skills in relation to conflict resolution, advocacy and creative problem solving
- A self-starter with the ability to work with minimal supervision
- This position is dependent on government funding and maybe adjusted as required
- Full-time, Monday to Friday, however, some weekend and evening work will be required
- Office work environment as well as visitation in client homes, travel out of office is required
- Physical effort is minimal, able to lift 50 lbs routinely. Must be able to walk upstairs—accompany community participants to public buildings and private homes
- This position requires varied mental and emotional effort, must be able to respond appropriately to intense situations, provide conflict resolution, work directly with clients at risk
- Personal vehicle, $2 million liability insurance and a valid class 5 driver’s license are required
- Driver’s Abstract, Vulnerable Sector Check and Employment Security Check is required
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
Start date: Immediate
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Apply online using our Position Application Form on our Careers page. (https://themustardseedhr.wufoo.eu/forms/position-application-form/)
The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, and flex days. The Mustard Seed embraces the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 4633 ]