Join other pastors on March 6, 2018 for the Tyndale Preaching Conference in Toronto. Keynote speaker Dr. Torrey Robinson will speak on the theme: It's All in How You Tell It. You will also enjoy preaching workshops by local pastors. Early Bird pricing ends February 6, 2018
Food Services Worker - PT Contract
Food Services Worker - PT Contract
Red Deer, Alberta
The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services - food, clothing and housing, and support services – education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta.
Reporting to the Food Services Team Lead, the Food Services Worker provides service to our most vulnerable population through preparing food. This position supports the operation of the kitchen at the Red Deer location and is responsible for providing meal service for clients who are actively participating in programs and community events that may include meals. The Mustard Seed, Red Deer currently offers three dinners and two lunches per week for up to 200 guests per meal.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Manage the delivery of a healthy and nutritious meal program including researching nutritional information and creating menus that fit the budget and available donations;
• Carry out necessary food preparation and cooking
• Must be comfortable cooking all meals from scratch with a lot of fresh food prep
• Ensure the cooler and freezer are kept organized
• Supervise cleaning of all Food Services areas to ensure health and safety standards are met;
• Implement the procedures, standards and policies of the Environmental Health Services Guidelines regarding how food is prepared, handled, and stored;
• Provide information to the Food Services Team Lead regarding kitchen renovations or improvements and the repair, or maintenance of equipment;
• Identify problem areas and suggest methods to improve overall operations of the kitchen;
• Cover for the Food Services Team Lead when he or she is away with the day-to-day management of Food Services;
• Provide input to and assist in the implementation of program evaluation;
• In conjunction with Volunteer department, implement strategy to involve volunteers within Food Services;
• Keep a current inventory of all kitchen equipment;
• Attend meetings and training, as assigned;
• Keep clients’ information confidential, updated and secure.
• Provide direction to volunteers in the absence of the Food Services Team Lead creating work schedules;
• Ensure staff is providing the appropriate reception, acknowledgement, and encouragement for donors, serving groups, and volunteers;
• Implement health and safety policies and procedures to ensure a safe working environment;
• Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
• Formally trained in Food Services and or a minimum of three (3) years experience working in a commercial kitchen environment.
• Experience overseeing Volunteers in kitchen considered a strong asset
• Have a valid certificate from the Alberta Health Services Food Safe course
• Be willing to take any necessary training The Mustard Seed requires – NVCI, First Aid
• Good organizational skills are a necessity for menu planning.
• A valid driver’s license is an asset.
• Ability to resolve conflicts as they arise.
• This is a Part-time 3 month Contract position at The Mustard Seed – Red Deer
• The hours will be Monday, Wednesday & Friday from 10:00am – 3:00pm
• This is a “hands on” position and there will be lifting involved.
• This can be a high pressure environment where the ability to adapt to change and find creative solutions is essential.
• Must be willing to work closely with several volunteers and have excellent customer service skills
• Employment Security Check is required
• As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
• Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
Start date: Immediate
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Apply online using our Position Application Form on our Careers page. (https://themustardseedhr.wufoo.eu/forms/position-application-form/)
The Mustard Seed embraces the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 4759 ]