Huntsville, Ontario , P1H 2L5
Full Time Associate Pastor – Position Description
Muskoka Community Church is a 10-year-old, medium-sized church with Anabaptist roots located in the heart of Muskoka in Port Sydney, Ontario. We have a disciple-making mission, and a unique and vibrant culture characterized by our accepting environment, our authentic relationships, and our focus on those outside our church. Having recently purchased our first permanent facility, we are now looking to expand our staff capacity to accommodate recent growth and prepare for the future. Until this point, we have operated with our founding pastor as the sole paid staff member. However, we have sensed the need to hire an associate pastor who will share leadership responsibilities and free the Senior Pastor to give greater attention to his areas of gifting (teaching, spiritual formation, worship service planning, pastoral care, etc.). The job description below is our best attempt to paint a picture of our current needs. However, we are flexible and will tailor the final job description to the candidate we feel is a good fit.
We are an outward-focused church that wishes to continue to reach unchurched and dechurched people across the Muskoka and Almaguin regions. This year, our focus is on establishing an intentional discipleship process that will allow us to more effectively fulfill our mission of helping people at all points on their spiritual journeys to experience God, follow Jesus, love each other, and serve the world. In the next five years, we want to move toward a new model of ministry in which our Port Sydney location operates as a central hub, with smaller, volunteer-led “outposts” (missional communities) operating in surrounding areas. Increasing staff capacity and developing systems and structures are directly connected to supporting this vision.
Our beliefs are Christ-centred, based on the Bible and in line with an evangelical theological perspective. For more information see http://www.muskokacommunitychurch.com/beliefs-roots/ and our denominational website http://www.brethrenchurch.org/about-us/what-the-brethren-church-believes/beliefs.
The Associate Pastor will oversee operational aspects of Muskoka Community Church. They will increase pastoral staff capacity, bringing a greater degree of organizational leadership, implementing systems and processes, overseeing administrative tasks, supporting specific ministry teams, and sharing pastoral responsibilities with the Senior Pastor.
- Organizational systems development and management
- Financial systems oversight
- Volunteer resourcing, training, and support
- Active participation in Ministry Team and Leadership Team meetings
- Policy management (in conjunction with Leadership Team)
- Occasional pastoral participation in worship service (teaching, announcements, etc.)
- Attendance at annual denominational conference in July for the purpose of developing connections to the larger church
- Other tasks in keeping with gifting/training of candidate, and as assigned by Senior Pastor
Ministry Team Oversight:
Responsibilities also include working with volunteer ministry leaders to offer support, suggestions, accountability, and to help them develop systems and processes where needed. Possible areas of oversight could include the following (but would be tailored to experience/gifting):
- Connections Ministry (Assimilation)
- Sunday Production Ministry (Audio/Visual)
- Children’s Ministry
- Youth Ministry
- Facility Team
- Hospitality Ministry
- Social Events Ministry
Because we believe that fruitful ministry flows from an ongoing relationship with Jesus (John 15:5-8), the candidate should have established devotional habits and an active prayer life.
Because ministry affects and is affected by home life, married candidates should have the support of their spouse and immediate family.
The Associate Pastor is expected to exercise self-care (e.g. putting in reasonable hours, practicing Sabbath, participating in activities that bring refreshment and rejuvenation, monitoring mental and emotional health, etc.).
Candidates’ lifestyle must conform to biblical values.
Candidate must agree to submit to Brethren beliefs/positions (even if not in full agreement)
We envision this as a full-time position, requiring an average of 40 hours a week
Salary range would be $44,000 to $54,000 depending on experience and education
The ideal candidate will bring:
- At least 3 years of relevant ministry experience (in church leadership)
- Bachelor or Masters level training in biblical, theological, or ministry studies
- Spiritual gifts of leadership and administration
- A high degree of self-motivation/self-direction
- A proven track record of working well with volunteers
- The ability to cast a vision and enable others to support its implementation
Email resume/CV or questions to our Leadership Team care of Lynda Richards firstname.lastname@example.org prior to April 30, 2018.
Posted Under: Pastoral
Career ID: [ 5077 ]