Markham, Ontario , L3P 3J3
the bridge is a multi-ethnic and multi-generational church located in Markham. the bridge exists to create transformational connections with God, Self, the Church, and World. We do this corporately through our Gatherings, our Groups, our Giving, and our Going. We gather for a renewed and inspired perspective, we group to put inspired life into practice, we give to produce growth and development, and we go to perpetuate the goodness of God.
The Bookkeeper will effectively administer the finances of the church. This includes accounts payable, accounts receivable, financial recordkeeping, and financial reports. The Bookkeeper will be a resource to staff and various church ministries, and will oversee a team of finance volunteers. This is a part-time role for approximately 15-20 hours per week and will report to the Director of Administration.
- Process account payables, including billing /invoices, reimbursements, cheque requests, HST and other government filings, etc.
- Process account receivables, including donations, ministry income, government refunds, etc.
- Prepare weekly money and deposits for counting and recording by the finance team.
- Process donations through various giving methods weekly and ensure giving records are updated
- Ensure income is deposited weekly and prepare weekly giving reports for Board review
- Ensure all financial transactions are recorded in QuickBooks for accurate reporting
- Process payroll and payroll-related expenses for all staff.
- Prepare monthly Visa statements and monthly reports of expenditures for each ministry
- Prepare monthly financial statements and giving reports for Board approval
- Perform bank reconciliation to ensure accurate reporting and financial records
- Prepare for and work with the Director of Administration and auditor for the annual financial audit
- Prepare year-end financial reports for members meetings and other financial reports as required
Other Financial Duties:
- Act as the first point of contact for financial matters
- Responsible for the maintenance of financial records
- Oversee the finance team to process and record weekly income (donations and ministry income). Assist with the counting and recording of giving as required.
- Work with the Communications department on the publishing of financials for the weekly bulletin
- Assist the Director of Administration with the development of an annual budget and work closely with the staff and ministry leaders to manage their budgets
- Prepare annual giving statements and tax receipts, coordinating with the administrative team to ensure the mailing of statements and receipts.
- Ensure compliance to church policies and procedures, CRA guidelines and generally accepted accounting principles
- Able to support and communicate the mission and vision of the bridge.
- Post-secondary education in finance or accounting, or a minimum of 2 years related experience
- Demonstrated experience with financial software. Experience with Quickbooks an asset
- Demonstrated experience working independently as well as with a variety of teams
Skills & Abilities:
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail and an aptitude for numbers
- Strong interpersonal skills with a high level of professionalism, ability to maintain confidentiality and desire to serve
- Very good communication skills, both verbal and written
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage multiple deadlines and tasks
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, problem-solve and adapt to change
- • Proficient with MS Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Leadership skills with the ability to build a team of volunteers
- Financial experience in a not-for-profit and/or church environment an asset
For more information on the bridge, go to http://www.thebridgemarkham.com. If you are interested in this employment opportunity, please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. the bridge invites fully qualified candidates to apply for the following position(s), however Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. the bridge is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities and will work with you during the selection process if this is required. All applications will be reviewed but only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Posted Under: Accounting / Finance
Career ID: [ 5080 ]