Oshawa, Ontario , L1J4Y1
Executive Director, SCA International
Our Client SCA International is a Christian organization with a commitment to bringing glory to God, serving the people of North America and equipping individuals to help in the effort to share the love of Christ with their world in tangible and exciting ways.
SCA International works with the Christian community to mobilize and build programs, and facilities that make the work of discipleship and training approachable and effective for individuals, groups and organizations in the effort of expanding the work of Christian service. The goals of SCA International allow people to discover and better understand their unique purpose in their communities, to enable Christian entrepreneurs to act on their vision and the vision of SCA International, as well as to distribute resources and tools that will aid in building awareness of the gospel and avenues for individuals to find their own journey to faith.
SCA International has a longstanding reach in their work, from their foundations some 111 years ago in Western Canada to their current engagement in Ontario and across the nation, they have built a network that has seen them committed to their values and the sharing of the gospel over this past century in Canada.
SCA International has a desire to see a new chapter open, and that chapter will include the growth and development of a leadership base out of their Newmarket offices. The core of that team will be the Executive Director working in tandem with the Board of Directors to bring growth and renewed vision to the miles of work that the SCA International has trod within the century of its work.
SCA is called to be an organization that glorifies God, serving the people of North America by sharing the love and truth of Jesus Christ, and by equipping others to do likewise.
SCA is a non-denominational faith-based organization that works to enhance and develop the ongoing reach of the gospel throughout the Canadian and North American context. The core dynamics of SCA International see a strong adherence to personal and corporate prayer, an adherence to Scripture, the pursuit of excellence to honour God, and the value of individuals and relationships. These goals combined with the pursuit of a devotion to Christ for his followers, an authentic expression of that faith in everyday life and being relevant to both culture and society are the core values of the work of SCA International. The value of these elements will easily align to the value of remaining accountable to authority, and ensuring financial integrity in all organizational dealings while putting value in community and faith, will set a tone for unity and cooperation within the work of SCA International within the entirety of the body of believers.
Further information on SCA International can be found at:www.scainternational.org
SCA International is seeking an Executive Director, who along with the Board and the senior leadership team, will continue to bring spiritual and organizational leadership to the advancement of the cause and vision of SCA International in Canada. Working alongside a strong team of professional and volunteer talent, the Executive Director will work on the continued expansion of the reach that SCA International has attained since its inception and will work to see continued strength for the message of SCA across Canada.
This role is well suited to a proven leader with a heart and vision to see change created in the lives of the individuals and communities. Additionally, this role will call for a dynamic entrepreneurial leader who is a proven communicator in both large and small forums, as well as has the ability to coach teams for successful engagement with a wide variety of audiences. This role will carry the mandate of the continued growth and development of the SCA International organization. This role will require demonstrated skills in the areas of team and volunteer management and development, strategic planning for long-term growth, donor engagement, as well as proven experience in the day-to-day operational leadership for an organization of $1+ Million in annual revenues. This role will require a leader who can demonstrate, through their example, a commitment to the values and beliefs of the SCA International mandate to be a mature follower of Christ with healthy spiritual disciplines and strong spiritual leadership experience.
This position is based at SCA International in Newmarket, ON and would be well suited to an individual who is already a resident of South Western Ontario, or willing to relocate to the region in an acceptable timeframe.
The primary responsibilities of the SCA International Executive Director will be to:
- Provide visionary leadership across Canada and to those who would partner with SCA International across Canada, and to inspire action; Engage with the leadership and members of the core team around the continued growth and ongoing expansion of SCA International into new relationships with high net worth individuals, corporations, and other viable constituents to maintain regular giving cycles and expand on development opportunities;
- Give oversight to the structures and systems for the development, review, and recommendation of new ministry programs, program expansions, or changes; Work with the board of directors to ensure effective human resources planning, and identify resource implications, if applicable, for the needs of the organization;
- Provide oversight and guidance to all publications, fund-raising, conferences, and public relations programs operated by the organization;
- Serve as the spiritual leader for SCA International, and do so out of a humble spirit and prayerful countenance;
- Be an active participant in the development of team dynamic and a motivating force in the encouragement and building of paid and volunteer staff;
- Implement, and establish where necessary, an organizational structure to ensure accountability of all departments and staff for fulfilling the Constitution of the organization, as well as the Resolutions of the Board;
- Provide leadership and support to the Board’s responsibility to develop and periodically review the Constitution of the organization; and
- Fulfill the mandate of SCA International in relationships outside partner and ministry organizations, and to effectively represent SCA International in such matters.
- Heighten, and expand on, engaged relationships with related ministries and to promote the co-ordination and/or planning of ministries and services including taking the message of SCA International to pulpits and gatherings as opportunities arise;
- Build upon the existing track record of long term presence and successful partnerships that would lead to the effective work of SCA International, through the continued cultivation of relationships with major donors, corporations and other constituents to maintain and enhance growth potential;
- Liaise with NGOs and other like-minded organizations to advance the mission of SCA International;
- Proactively recruit highly qualified staff, interns and volunteers to serve as opportunity and needs allow; and
- Be the organizational voice in situations that call for engagement with community, government, media, and other organizations and agencies.
- Ensure that the operational structure is in place for the responsible payment by the organization of all salaries, allowances, and amounts due from and owing by the organization which fall within the privy and scope of the approved annual budget or otherwise may be established from time to time by Resolution of the Board;
- Be an active, albeit ex-officio, member of all Committees, save and except the Finance Committee, and such committees as the Board may determine from time to time, and be included in the calculation of the authorized number of Committee members;
- Be prepared and able to report at each Annual Meeting of Members concerning the operations of the organization;
- Attend and actively participate at meetings of the Board as requested by the Board; and
- Perform such other duties as may from time to time be determined by the Board or the Membership.
Qualifications and Experience
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree, with a preference for a Graduate degree, in Business, Organizational Development or Theology .
- A minimum of 5-8 years of proven senior leadership in a dynamic and professional environment with a view to growth and continued expansion.
- Active background in an environment calling for hands-on involvement in fundraising.
- Experience leading a team of talented individuals in both paid and volunteer roles, including both local and regional team members in a national context.
- Defined experience in the growth and development of all aspects of a purpose driven organization in the $1-2M+ range.
- Ability to articulate effectively, intelligently, credibly, and passionately the story of SCA International, the nature of the gospel and its value, and the biblical call to motivate others to action.
- Capacity for development and execution of strategic thought and analysis. Experience writing business plans and proposals with a view to sustainable organizational growth and development.
- Proven skills in building rapport with diverse groups and individuals. Experience in relating skillfully and sensitively to the Canadian church community and international organizations and ministries.
- Highly developed communication skills in both the development and delivery of presentations that engage and enhance the listener, and experience delivering in small (2-10) to large (200-5000) public presentations.
- Demonstrated skills in building diplomatic relationships within Government, Legal, Corporate and Charitable organizations.
- Fluency in both English and French an asset.
- Mature, biblically-based Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed. Proven experience in the area of spiritual leadership in a team environment.
- Deep commitment to spiritual, ethical and relational integrity.
- Self –starter with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Genuine passion for the work of SCA International and the community of Christ.
- Professional in demeanour and written and oral communication. Intelligent listener and good interpersonal communicator.
- A daily dependence on prayer. Sustained positive attitude.
- Position based in Newmarket, Ontario, but open to relocation for suitable candidate.
- The ability to travel locally, nationally, 25-30% of this role.
Full-time salaried position. Competitive salary based on qualifications and experience. Medical, dental and retirement benefits. Applications accepted until April 15, 2018. Target date for hire is spring 2018.
Being employed by SCA International requires the successful candidate must understand and perform one’s duties according to the mission and values of the office while working in a manner that will enhance the organization’s activities and handle all information ethically, accurately, and confidentially. This role will require the successful candidate to affirm their agreement with the Apostles Creed.
How To Apply
Our online application will allow you to apply to this role as a complete candidate –not just a resume. The application will assess your qualifications, personality traits and culture fit, and should take about 10–15 minutes to complete. You can get a copy of your personality assessment when you are done by logging into the tool.
Thank you to everyone who applies, but we will only be contacting those selected for further discussion. Philip J.W. Smith & Co. provides accommodations to applicants throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation, please contact our recruitment team (www.philipjwsmith.com) and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Posted Under: Executive
Career ID: [ 5120 ]