Senior Development Officer
Senior Development Officer
Vancouver , British Columbia
Our Client MEDA is focused on creating truly sustainable livelihoods for vulnerable poor families, especially in rural, agricultural areas. MEDA is recognized as a global leader in pro-poor development, inclusive financial services, market systems and investments particularly for women, youth, and rural populations. Through the strength of their business network, and their professional and entrepreneurial staff, they inspire real change for both individuals and local businesses in poverty stricken communities. They are funded and supported by an association of Christian donors who seek to explore the intersection between their faith and their vocation – MEDA exists to support them in that exploration and to give them outlets to faithfully live it out.
Senior Development Officer
The Senior Development Officer (SDO) reports to the Senior Director, and is a key contributor to the ongoing fundraising success for MEDA, nurturing both new and existing relationships with high capacity donors and working to explore new ways to intersect their philanthropic goals with ways that meet the support goals of the work of MEDA. This is a full-time position with extensive domestic travel requirements based out of Vancouver, BC, the Fraser Valley, Winnipeg or vicinity, with regular regional travel throughout the Western Region and occasional international travel. The SDO will also work to implement a cultivation and solicitation plan for individual major gift prospects. The successful SDO will have the satisfaction of helping donors fulfill their faith, purpose and passions through their investing with MEDA, and to make a lasting positive change in our world.
- Develop an annual plan for the cultivation and solicitation of a portfolio of major gift donors and prospects within an assigned geographic area.
- Gather data, prioritize and rate each donor/prospect within the portfolio, creating individual targets for each person, based on their history of giving, financial capacity, interests, advisors, other causes and the organization’s knowledge of that donor’s potential.
- Fully utilize any information provided from the Resource Development department and the donor management system.
- Create an annual work plan for each major donor that includes a timetable with dates for cultivation, involvement, solicitation actions (“moves”), event/trip attendance and gift acknowledgments.
- As appropriate, plan for the involvement of the President/CEO, other MEDA representatives and board members.
- Execute the action steps in the work plan on a timely basis with all donors. Solicit annual gifts from prospects as agreed upon with an annual giving plan.
- Collaborate with Marketing and Programs departments and ensure support work needed to complete the work plan, such as major gift proposals, is completed.
- Maintain a timetable, checklist and reporting system that show the current “move” for each donor, the last action and the projected next step.
- Record actions, moves and activities in the donor management system for future reference and strategy development.
- As required, create monthly reports that accurately reflect portfolio activity. Develop and help carry out appropriate recognition and stewardship strategies for major donors in the assigned portfolio.
- Collaborate and participate with the entire Strategic Engagement team to support the annual convention, regional meetings, chapter events and tours as part of donor cultivation.
- Perform other donor and prospect activities as required.
- Minimum five years demonstrated experience in not-for-profit fundraising. Accreditation in a nationally recognized fundraising education (or working towards accreditation).
- Highly motivated, self-starter, achieving results with minimal supervision. Knowledge and skills in business principles with emphasis on marketing/sales.
- Excellent and proven interpersonal skills in relationship building, active listening, communicating, negotiation and leadership.
- Skills to work with tools such as multi-media presentations, the entire Microsoft Office Suite, including SharePoint, and donor management systems (Raiser’s Edge).
- Understanding of the Moves Management system for cultivating gifts and investment funds. Knowledge and understanding of MEDA’s constituency (Mennonite, Anabaptist and Christian business and professionals).
- Appreciation and support of MEDA’s faith, values and goals.
- Ability to prioritize donors and prospects that represent the highest giving potential for the organization within the portfolio.
- Ability to create reasonable financial goals for each donor, which is based on the donor’s giving and the potential.
- Ability to create a personal contact and ask plan that takes into account the individual donor’s interest, motivations, giving patterns and ask preferences, for each donor on his or her caseload, in a timely and cost-effective manner, and retains and upgrades donors.
- Ability to secure project and organization information and create and write effective offers, proposals and asks.
- Ability to secure information that can be sent back to donors to report on how their money was used.
- Ability to create timely reports that reflect the portfolio performance.
- Ability to manage people, process, deadlines and budget while adhering to the policies and procedures of MEDA.
- Ability to get along with peers, subordinates and management and maintain a positive and constructive attitude while solving problems.
- Ability to protect and support the mission, goals and values of the organization.
How To Apply
Our online application will allow you to apply to this role as a complete candidate –not just a resume. The application will assess your qualifications, personality traits and culture fit, and should take about 10–15 minutes to complete. You can get a copy of your personality assessment when you are done by logging into the tool.
Thank you to everyone who applies, but we will only be contacting those selected for further discussion.
Philip J.W. Smith & Co. provides accommodations to applicants throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation, please contact our recruitment team (www.philipjwsmith.com) and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Posted Under: Fundraising
Career ID: [ 5183 ]