Community Engagement Summer Student
Community Engagement Summer Student
The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services - food, clothing and housing, and support services – education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta.
Do you want to spend your summer working with youth on the topic of homelessness? Gain frontline experience and be a part of a humanitarian organization as a Summer Student with The Mustard Seed! As a Community Engagement Summer Student you will be supporting the design, development and implementation of our alternative summer mission trips: DemoCrew. You will be fostering an understanding of poverty and homelessness to transform worldviews and mobilize our community.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Facilitate DemoCrew multi-day experiences throughout the summer
• Support in the design, promoting, and evaluation of DemoCrew
• Engage with leaders of groups attending DemoCrew programs
• Develop Community Engagement activities for youth
• Deliver Community Engagement workshops and presentations as needed
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
• Completing education in ministry, social work, education, community development, youth and childcare studies, or a related program
• Highly organized and strong attention to detail; strong administration skills
• Demonstrated capacity to be adaptable and responsive to changing program needs
• Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal skills; public speaking skills an asset
• Experience working with youth in a camp or missions trip setting
• Passion for fostering a deeper understanding of poverty and homelessness in the community
• Experience working with marginalized population or in social work an asset
• Ability to lead worship an asset
• Video editing experience an asset
• This is a fulltime position, 37.5 hours per week for 13 weeks: May 22, 2018 – August 14, 2018.
Note: vacation time during these 13 weeks is not permitted.
• During the 5 weeks of DemoCrew (July 1 – Aug 2) students will work Sunday – Thursday, and will be required to work evenings
• Employment Security Check is required
• As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
• During programming weeks this position is high intensity requiring capacity to juggle program organization and facilitation (leading groups, delivering information sessions, adapting to program changes). Facilitators will interact with clients from a variety of socio-economic, cultural, and cognitive backgrounds, and behaviour levels
• The organizational & administrative component of program development & evaluation is office-based: requiring mental effort, including computer and telephone, as well as lifting for organizing program supplies
• Rate of pay: $16.00 per hour; plus 4% vacation pay
STEP Funding Conditions
NOTE: This position is funded through the STEP program within the Alberta Government. You must meet the following requirements to be eligible to apply for this position:
• At least 18 years of age
• A Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, or protected person under the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and legally entitled to work and study in Canada. International students and Temporary Foreign Workers are not eligible for STEP
• An Alberta resident with an Alberta address and living and/or attending school in the province
• Attended a high school or a post-secondary institution in 2017-18 Academic Year (September 2017- August 2018) and is returning to school full time in the following year (no later than November 1, 2018). Must be enrolled in a program that will result in a Certificate, Diploma, or Degree. Technical training for Apprenticeship is not eligible
• Is available for full-time summer employment
• Participates in only one STEP position during the summer
• Not currently employed by The Mustard Seed
• Not immediately related to the owners or staff responsible for hiring at The Mustard Seed
Please do not apply if all these conditions are not met.
Apply online using our Position Application Form on our Careers page. (https://themustardseedhr.wufoo.eu/forms/position-application-form/)
The Mustard Seed embraces the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 5207 ]