Street Level Worker, FT
Street Level Worker, FT
The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services— food, clothing and housing, and support services—education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta.
As a member of the Street Level Team, the full-time Street Level Worker will have a broad working knowledge of all areas of The Mustard Seed’s Basic Services. This position will also support the activities of the Food Depot, Drop-In Times, Evening Meal, Main Floor Programs and/or Personal Assistance Centre (PAC), and is supervised by the Front Line supervisor. This position can provide coverage for The Neighbour Centre, Mosaic Centre, Mustard Seed Church, or Community Support Centre depending on staffing availability.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Fulfil the mission of The Mustard Seed’s ministry and maintain a high level of professionalism, respect and gratitude with all staff, donors, volunteers, community participants and visitors
• Create a safe and healthy environment for all community participants accessing our services
• Work with community participants to encourage positive changes in lifestyle and behavior through supportive relationships and day-to-day interactions
• Create opportunities for volunteers to learn about and contribute to the mission and vision of The Mustard Seed.
• Foster meaningful relationships with supervisors, co-workers, volunteers and community participants
• Ensure daily tidiness and cleanliness of work area
• Bring to life the vision of the Street Level Team by taking ownership of additional tasks and projects, under guidance from the Front Line Supervisor
• Ability to function in a fast paced environment and respond quickly to individuals in crisis, including but not limited to physical or mental health concerns.
• Respond to conflicts in a healthy, respectful and safe manner.
• Model healthy relationships with community participants and volunteers through listening, advising and providing appropriate referrals.
• Assist community participants in accessing The Mustard Seed services available in the Drop-In programs and activities
• Communicate the story of The Mustard Seed’s ministry and community to volunteers, visitors, and donors
• Support and direct the Street Level volunteers in their assigned service area, communicating frequently with volunteers to ensure they are satisfied and understand The Mustard Seed’s services and policies.
• Assist with the kitchen meal program when necessary
• Oversee the organization and upkeep of kitchen to food safety standards
• Oversee the recording of stock and the ordering of kitchen supplies
• Assist in running the Dinner Club program creating a space to allow community to come together to cook, clean and enjoy a meal together
• Contribute to the creation, development and implementation of programs within the drop-in
• Brief, de-brief and pray with both staff and volunteer groups as needed
• Maintain specific records such as stats, volunteers, daily reports, incident reports, and other computer files
• Participate in all staff training (e.g. First Aid, Naloxone, Non-violence, etc.) and attend monthly general meetings and support meetings with supervisor
• Participate in health and safety meetings—implement strategies to promote safety in the workplace
• Other duties and site related duties may be assigned when required
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
• Experience working within the culture of the inner city and/or with people experiencing poverty or homelessness is preferred
• A demonstrated passion to be involved in ending homelessness in Alberta is essential
• Proactive self-starter characteristics
• A team player, who works collaboratively and has a “teachable spirit”
• Strong conflict resolution skills
• Good knowledge of MS Word, Excel and Outlook
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Experience working in a fast-paced environment
• Knowledge of mental illness and addictions is an asset
• Experience working in a volunteer-based organization is considered an asset
• 40 hours/week, consisting of 5 afternoon shifts (Monday to Friday), plus additional evening and morning responsibilities
• Most of the schedule is fixed, but there will be some variable meetings and projects which the candidate must be available to attend
• The position will require ongoing compassionate care, frequent manual labor, conflict resolution and organizational ability
• This position is often fast-paced, and requires substantial mental effort to analyze information and problem solve
• Considerable periods of standing, walking, indoors and outdoors
• Moderate physical effort and must be able to lift 25 pounds
• Employment Security Check is required
• As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
• Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
Start date: once a suitable candidate is found
Apply online using our Position Application Form on our Careers page. (https://themustardseedhr.wufoo.eu/forms/position-application-form/)
The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, and flex days. The Mustard Seed embraces the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 5274 ]