Kitchen Coordinator - FT
Kitchen Coordinator - FT
The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services— food, clothing and housing, and support services—education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta.
As a member of the Basic Services team, the Kitchen Coordinator is responsible for facilitating a high-quality Meal Program at The Mustard Seed’s downtown drop-in centre. Recognizing that healthy community and relationships are integral to poverty alleviation, the Kitchen Coordinator will not only use the kitchen to provide daily meals (up to 350 people) and nutrition, but also to bring about the Mustard Seed’s Mission and Values, and create a space of belonging, growth, and wellbeing for volunteers, people accessing services, and staff members.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Fulfil the mission of The Mustard Seed’s ministry and maintain a high level of professionalism, respect and gratitude with all staff, donors, volunteers, community participants and visitors
• Plan nutritious dinners and communicate ingredient needs to Food Services Team Lead in a timely fashion
• Be flexible and incorporate food donations into meal plans as much as possible in order to ensure wise stewardship of budget
• Work with Volunteer Services to build a rewarding and meaningful volunteer experience for those helping in the kitchen, including staff, volunteers and community participants
• Understand and communicate the root causes of poverty and poverty alleviation to those helping in the kitchen
• Seek creative ways of including community participants in kitchen tasks and activities; cultivate a culture of hospitality
• Ensure that volunteers treat all community participants with dignity and care consistent with the values of the Mustard Seed
• In accordance with Alberta Health Standards, ensure food safe practices are followed when receiving food (both donations and orders), storing food, and handling (preparing and serving) food
• Train and mentor those helping in the kitchen—staff, volunteers, and community participants—on cooking skills, interpersonal skills, and food handling and safety
• Foster meaningful relationships with supervisors, co-workers, volunteers and community participants
• Maintain food areas’ cleanliness and kitchen safety to building code standards by scheduling routine and inspections and maintenance of equipment.
• Receive, handle, and track food donations
• Maintain specific records including financial and in-kind donations, volunteers, incident reports, and monthly reports
• Participate in and contribute to Street Level meetings as well as other meetings and trainings as scheduled by supervisor
• Facilitate training for volunteers and staff around food handling and safety
• Foster, develop and maintain cooperative relationships with donors and volunteers
• Field incoming calls and emails concerning all aspects of meal preparation
• Other duties and sites may be assigned when required
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
• Experience working in food services—food preparation and meal planning skills
• Flexible spirit: able to adapt to changing situations and solve problems creatively
• Understanding of poverty issues within the inner-city and willingness to continue to learn about, in particular, issues pertaining to food.
• Strong interpersonal skills: able to work with a variety of groups and personality types
• Ability to work independently and be a self-starter
• Strong organizational and communication skills
• Strong leadership skills: able to support and train staff, volunteers, and community participants
• Valid First Aid Certification and Food Safety Certification is required
• Fast paced indoor working environment
• Able to work at least 4 evening shifts a week and may include weekends as required. Kitchen shifts 1 pm–9pm; administrative days 9 am–5pm; all hours are completed on-site.
• Moderate mental effort, includes: ability to solve problems pertaining to the Meal Program under time pressure, creative use of food donations, engaging volunteers and community participants.
• Moderate physical effort, includes: regular heavy lifting (50lbs); being on your feet for extended periods of time (4 hours)
• Access to a reliable vehicle and willingness to work in all The Mustard Seed sites
• Employment Security Check is required
• As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
• Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
Start date: once a suitable candidate is found
Apply online using our Position Application Form on our Careers page. (https://themustardseedhr.wufoo.eu/forms/position-application-form/)
The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, and flex days. The Mustard Seed embraces the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 5308 ]