Director of Worship
Director of Worship
Sussex, New Brunswick , E4E 5L2
Position Title: Director of Worship
Classification: Part-time, nine-month (August 16th to May 15th)
Note: this position may be combined with other part-time positions at Kingswood University, for example, the Director of Pulse Program
Responsible To: Vice President for Academic Affairs (VPAA)
Position Summary: To Provide point leadership for all campus life worship experiences involving students and staff of the University, especially through the ministry of music by leading worshipers into the presence of God, including mentoring and providing oversight of student worship teams
- Assist the President and VPAA in carrying the spiritual burden for the University in worship, namely for the regular visitation of God, for the life-transforming ministry of the Holy Spirit, and for the clear vision of the person and work of Jesus Christ;
- Lead or supervise worship during campus spiritual life events – twice-weekly Chapel services and special emphasis services, etc.;
- Provide exemplary leadership in worship, showing godly wisdom and practical understanding of the Church in the appropriate purpose, balance, creativity, depth, breadth, diversity, excellence, anointing, and spiritual impact of worship and worship music;
- Lead a worship planning team that seeks to develop and incorporate appropriate, creative, intentional, and theologically sound elements of worship for the Kingswood University campus;
- Recruit, train, spiritually prepare, and supervise all student worship teams and provide creative opportunities for their involvement in campus spiritual life events. Attention is to be provided to personal training/mentoring of students preparing for a ministry of public worship;
- In conjunction with the VPAA and the Spiritual Formation Committee, schedule, contact, and confirm appropriate Chapel speakers from inside and outside the institution; work with the speakers in preparation for their visit to ensure the worship experience fits with theme of the message and that the speaker’s requests for desired worship elements are honored;
- Acquire and/or produce quality resources for worship including music, video, art, and purposeful decorative materials, ensuring all copyright requirements are met;
- Give immediate oversight to the physical preparation and resourcing of the campus Chapel for all occasions of worship;
- Evaluate and assess the overall quality of Chapel worship experiences;
- Provide leadership as requested in community connection events, such as Carols at Kingswood;
- Perform other duties as are necessary for the ongoing spiritual life of the University, as requested by the VPAA.
The successful candidate must be able to articulate in writing a clear philosophy of worship built on a sound biblical/theological/historical/missional foundation and employ this philosophy to direct all avenues of worship. He or she should possess the following skills and attributes:
Formal Training and Experience:
- Experience leading worship in a local church context (as evidenced by an ability to build and work cooperatively with teams, facilitate participatory worship, and play/sing skillfully);
- An ability to teach (instruct and role model) the next generation of worship leaders and musicians;
- Formal theological education preferred.
- A consistent positive attitude with a warm smile and gracious spirit;
- A servant spirit, good team player with a healthy sense of humour;
- A teachable spirit, able to accept constructive criticism and resolve conflict;
- A mindset that is self-motivated, goal oriented, and task focused;
- An ability to respond to challenges with creativity, confidence and positive expectancy;
- An ability to take initiative, accept responsibility, and follow up with accountability.
- Godly, spiritual maturity, with full-hearted devotion to Christ and the Church;
- Genuine and apparent love for others demonstrated by consistent spirit of kindness, compassion, and respect for all;
- Integrity and moral excellence, living a life above reproach;
- A sincere respect and support for the doctrines of The Wesleyan Church;
- A code of personal conduct consistent with those required of leaders in The Wesleyan Church;
- A commitment to assist enthusiastically in fulfilling the mission of Kingswood University.
- Preference will be given to the applicant with broad exposure to and knowledge of The Wesleyan Church and/or higher education.
- The position may require the availability to work evenings for rehearsals.
- The position will require the availability occasionally to work extra hours for major projects or events.
- Depending upon qualifications, there may be an opportunity for adjunct teaching for additional remuneration.
General University Information
Kingswood University exists to serve Jesus Christ by strengthening the local and global church through forming Christ-like servant leaders in a community that creatively blends academic excellence and practical ministry experience with intentional spiritual formation. Kingswood University is owned by The Wesleyan Church.
Posted Under: Education
Career ID: [ 5311 ]