Community Chaplain, PT
Community Chaplain, PT
The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services - food, clothing and housing, and support services – education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta.
The Community Chaplain, within the framework of The Mustard Seed’s relief, recovery, and development programs will oversee and/or directly provide for the spiritual care of the members of our community. The Chaplain will also participate in developing partnerships with faith communities, schools, volunteers and other organizations to provide a broad range of spiritual supports and services to the Mustard Seed community. The Mustard Seed is also committed to helping those who are homeless and experiencing poverty, receive spiritual care.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop an overarching ministry action plan for the provision of spiritual care through the services of the Edmonton Mustard Seed
o Form relationships with Community Members, both individually and in groups
o Introduce those we serve to the practical and compassionate love of Jesus Christ
o Equip Community Members to make decisions and take actions that are rooted in Christ’s grace and hope
• In partnership with a passionate team of volunteers and staff,
o Coordinate Spiritual activities within the different locations of TMS Edmonton.
o Care personally for the whole needs of those who come into his/her realm of influence
o Offer and follow up on Spiritual Care Assessments and Spiritual Care Plans
o Lead regular Spiritual services as needed
o Develop programs that provide opportunity for spiritual growth.
o Recruit, train and supervise volunteers as part of the Spiritual Care team.
o Measure and evaluate the effectiveness of our spiritual care
• As a member of the wider Mustard Seed family
o Be accessible for staff to provide guidance, support, and prayer
o Work collaboratively with the wider organization and other partners to provide comprehensive care for Community Members
o Track targets/MOs’ for monthly statistics and prepare reports, as required
o Attend meetings and training, as assigned
o Serve on internal and external committees, as approved
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
• Degree/Diploma in Christian ministry preparation or equivalent experience
• Minimum of 2 years related work experience
• Agree to The Mustard Seed’s “Chaplains Principle of Practice’ document
• Demonstrated ability to develop new initiatives and grow programs
• Excellent organizational and time management skills
• A self-starter with the ability to work in a cross-functional team
• Ability to accomplish goals with minimal supervision
• Strong networking and system navigation abilities required
• Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal skills
• Strong working knowledge in Microsoft Office Programs (Word, Outlook, Excel)
• Access to a reliable vehicle and valid Driver’s License (Class 5)
• Part-time position (20 hours per week)—must be flexible to work afternoons, evenings and weekends as required
• Office space will be provided but you will be expected to meet people in all Mustard Seed Edmonton locations
• Working in and amongst a diverse group of individuals
• Moderate sitting, standing, lifting, and walking
• Extreme effort required to resolve conflict, build relationships with communities, and provide spiritual care
• Fast paced and demanding work environment
• Employment Security Check is required
• As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
• Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
Start date: once a suitable candidate is found
Apply online using our Position Application Form on our Careers page. (https://themustardseedhr.wufoo.eu/forms/position-application-form/)
The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, and flex days. The Mustard Seed embraces the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 5372 ]