Full Time Children & Youth Ministries Coordinator
Full Time Children & Youth Ministries Coordinator
Ottawa, Ontario , K1V 6P6
Mission and Values Statement
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church and charitable movement, active in over 128 countries worldwide. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity. The Mission of The Salvation Army is to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs, and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world. This is expressed in spiritual ministry, and also by a wide variety of social services, which are extended without discrimination as to race or creed.
There are three Core Values of our Faith: Salvation, Holiness, and Intimacy with God.
Rooted in these three values are the seven core operational values that guide all aspects of the Salvation Army in the Canada & Bermuda Territory.
Compassion: We reach out to others and care for them.
Respect: We promote the dignity of all persons.
Excellence: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
Integrity: We are honest, trustworthy and accountable.
Relevance: We are committed to the pursuit of innovation and effectiveness.
Co-operation: We encourage and foster teamwork and partnerships.
Celebration: We give thanks by marking milestones and successes.
The powerful mission and core values of The Salvation Army serve as significant attractors for those people who choose to join the organization, which has been serving the under-served and evolving for 150 years.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACTIVITIES:
Youth Work - Oversee all youth ministries programs within the Corps and community
- Lead, manage, review and continuously monitor Corps and community needs and resources
- Provide support and guidance to current youth workers
- Ensure all leaders and activities work together to assist one another and coordinate their particular programs (Children’s and Youth Ministries)
- Develop new and expand/modify current youth programs to meet evolving needs with special attention to developing meaningful connections for teens
- Develop and implement new programs to fill identified needs. Potential programs may include: young child play groups to support Corps and community parent groups; after school programs, homework clubs, Vacation Bible School, summer camps, teen activities, etc.
- Strategically establish Youth Outreach programs
- Lead youth worship, discipleship and evangelistic outreach programs
- Evaluate all programs and provide strategic guidance on improving, removing and adding programming
- Praying with and for children, youth and families and leading them to faith in Jesus Christ as opportunity permits
Manage, Develop and Nurture Salvation Army and Community Programs and Partnerships
- Manage the Nourish lunch box program at Ottawa Citadel
- Develop youth focused Life Skills and social programs to support integrated ministry needs
- Network with community partners to share resources to effectively and efficiently address community needs and establish new youth programs
- Promote outreach programs among the members of Ottawa Citadel and the programs available at OC within the community at large (including Divisional and Territorial programs/events)
- Partner with local schools to identify needs and leverage resources
- Collaborate with and contribute to current college outreach programs (Algonquin College) and develop new contacts
- Work with other Salvation Army units and community colleges to establish a placement program
- Train, guide and supervise volunteers, student volunteers and student placements
- Provide volunteer administration including selection, training and orientation and completion of police checks and abuse training
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Commitment to Christ and Christian teaching
- Degree or diploma in Christian Ministry support worker, Biblical/Theological studies/ Bible college
- A minimum 3 years’ experience developing programing for child and youth
- Ability to communicate in English (French or second language an asset)
- Ability to work with youth – formal training and experience preferred
- Ability to work in a multicultural context
- Ability to provide leadership
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work with a diverse team of employees, local leadership and volunteers
- Ability to work independently and part of a larger team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience presenting at meetings, churches, workshops, formal and informal gatherings
- Able to represent The Salvation Army and the Christian faith in a positive/pleasant manner
- Excellent Computer skills (Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, Excel, social media)
- Understanding of and adherence to The Salvation Army and Ottawa Citadel Mission, Values and Vision
- Valid Criminal Reference Check – Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Clear internal abuse registry check
- The successful incumbent will be required to complete The Salvation Army on-line certification for child/youth abuse prevention
HOURS: 35 hours per week
SALARY: $17.96 to $22.45 per hour
Interested applicants are asked to contact Captain Jeff Arkell by May 31, 2018
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
Posted Under: Pastoral - Children's Ministries
Career ID: [ 5393 ]