Mississauga, Ontario , L5N 6A2
Permanent Full Time Youth Mentor Position
The Dam is currently seeking a capable person for the position of Youth Mentor for our Meadowvale Program location. This is a full-time position. This role includes partnering with youth to build an inclusive community where youth are supported through interpersonal relationships. We respond to the social, emotional, mental, physical and spiritual needs of youth who often are facing multiple barriers to full social inclusion.
The Dam is partnering with youth to create inclusive community where all are welcomed, valued and respected. We operate two drop-ins in the neighborhoods of Meadowvale and Cooksville in Mississauga.
- To take responsibility for the community of The Dam in Meadowvale in its formal and informal work with youth and to help fulfill the goals, mandate and responsibilities of the organization.
- To build helping interpersonal relationships with youth.
- To develop, plan and run innovative and interesting programming (drop-ins, workshops, support groups, skills training, sports, rec. activities…) for youth.
- To provide a welcoming and friendly environment for the enjoyment of all youth in Dam programs.
- To be an active and engaged team member and enter into intentional relationships with the staff team and volunteers for mutual encouragement, growth and support.
- To provide oversite and supervision for volunteers, student placements, and youth interns
- To provide mentoring on an individual or group basis as required.
- To plan special activities for youth outside the drop-in.
- To network and work with others in the community who are impacting the lives of youth.
- To facilitate a youth voice in the community.
- To provide referrals when necessary and provide the support and encouragement that is necessary to help youth make use of those referrals.
- To attend the weekly staff meetings and supervisory meetings.
- To participate in the administrative workings of the drop-in.
- Warm, friendly, outgoing and energetic
- Previous working experience with non-profit organization
- Ability to lead our mentoring initiatives, individual and group, for our male youth population
- Ability to reach out to a diversity of youth from different cultural backgrounds, particular youth from Black and/or Caribbean, South Asian or Arab backgrounds.
- Ability to work within and contribute to a queer positive space.
- Fundraising experience
- Initiative – independent self-starter
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Self-aware and reflective
- A vehicle and 5 years with G license is preferred. Some travel is required.
Qualifications and Experience:
- University or College degree in Social Services Sector or Ministry related field
- Exceptional people skills
- Strong technical skills in Excel/Word/Publisher etc
- Youth trips/events/outings
- Various locations for fundraising events and speaking engagements
- Various locations for meetings/conferences/seminars/retreats
- Full-time position of 40 hours/week-flex hours as required
- Expect some afternoon and evening hours.
Deadline for Applicants: June 30, 2018 -– please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted Under: Pastoral - Youth/Youth Worker
Career ID: [ 5394 ]