North York, Ontario , M2M 3S4
The Accessibility Specialist is responsible for the development and delivery of academic accommodations and learning supports to students. In this role, the Specialist plans and facilitates the implementation of appropriate accommodations, auxiliary aids and support services for students with disabilities; interprets and ensures compliance with laws as they apply to disability and post-secondary educational environments.
• Advise faculty so they are aware of student accommodation requirements and act as a resource for providing service to students with disabilities.
• Recruit and manage volunteer and funded note-takers and exam proctors; manage note-taker course pages on Moodle.
• Coordinate with Student Service Offices regarding special arrangements.
• Oversee accommodations for mid-term examinations and other tests/quizzes.
• Coordinate with the Registration department to ensure an understanding of each student’s final exam accommodations.
• Develop and improve administrative processes/procedures as it relates to the services of the Accessibility Services Office.
• Plan and facilitate seminars to the student community twice a year.
• Review practices and trends of disability service providers.
• Represent the Centre at Tyndale events and orientation sessions.
• Represent the Centre on the Accessibility Advisory Committee.
• Continue to develop skills in learning strategies, and assistive technologies related to students with disabilities.
• Manage the Accessibility Services budget line.
• Manage the Accessibility Services website, update and grow online and print resources.
• Provide letters for students requesting information regarding disability status/accommodation support.
• Maintain and develop statistical reports related to student retention regarding students with disabilities.
• Collaborate with Centre for Academic Excellence staff on ways of improving academic support campus-wide.
• Answer questions from students and parents regarding assessment, accommodations, funding, etc. related to academic accommodation support.
• Oversee the intake of students’ learning needs through an interview and review of psycho-educational assessments and/or medical documentation.
• Develop accommodation plans in collaboration with students and based on intake and documentation.
• Assist students with assistive technology, learning strategies.
• Assist students with filling out forms related to disability support through OSAP.
• Undergraduate degree in Psychology
• Physical and/or mental health first aid certification, preferred
• Applied Learning Disability Specialist (LDGC) certification (or close to completion)
• Minimum of 2 years related experience
• Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office
• Experience with project management
• Related experience in a non-profit and/or educational institution
Skills and Abilities
• Excellent administrative skills with the ability to multitask
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and act with diplomacy, tact and professionalism
• Customer service oriented with the ability to work independently and as a team
• Ability to problem solve quickly
• Professional, adaptable, strong work ethic, positive and friendly
• High level of patience when working with students who require special attention
• Compassionate outlook and dedication to the growth of students’ academic ability
• Collaborative approach to working environment
• A Christian with a keen desire to serve family, church, work and community. A firm commitment to Tyndale’s mission, values, Statement of Faith and Community Standards Statement.
Physical and Mental Demands
• Moderate – high level of stress. Respond to inquiries with a high degree of patience and diplomacy.
• May encounter challenging people from time to time.
• Must be able to act to get immediate help for a client who comes in a mental health crisis.
• Must be able to work with distractions and very frequent interruptions.
APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED IMMEDIATELY UPON RECEIPT AND WILL CONTINUE TO BE CONSIDERED UNTIL THE POSITION IS FILLED.
To apply, please email your resume in confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted Under: Education
Career ID: [ 5516 ]