Accountant- Toronto West
Accountant- Toronto West
Accountant - Toronto West
Supervisor: Pastor of Discipleship
The church’s Bookkeeper has the responsibility to ensure the church’s financial operations are processed and reported with accuracy and integrity. The Bookkeeper maintains records of financial transactions by establishing accounts; posting transactions; ensure legal requirements compliance.
- Perform employee reimbursements on a bi-weekly basis. Reviewing expense reports, ensuring expenses are supported by receipts, issuing payment to employee. Any follow up required for unmatched claims to be done by administrative staff.
- Reconcile and account for petty cash.
- Maintain books, records and general ledger in QuickBooks.
- To ensure any fund accounting is maintained.
- Obtain bills and enter into purchases ledger.
- Perform a cheque run on a bi-weekly basis, with invoices attached to cheques for review and signature of authorized signees.
- Enter in debit or pre-authorized transactions from bank statement or credit cards into bookkeeping program.
- Reconcile the bank account on a monthly basis. Send a copy of bank reconciliation to Deacon of Finance for his review.
- Run a monthly income statement and balance sheet for the Elder’s review. The income statement should also include a column for the budgeted numbers to date on a pro-rata basis. Additionally, these reports should be reviewed in advance by the bookkeeper and any necessary notes or highlights that may be useful to the Elders should be noted in.
- To prepare reports as needed for individual ministry areas.
- To ensure the safety and integrity of data, including both onsite and offsite backup and storage.
- To assist with the annual audit and preparation of books and records and related audit working papers and cooperate with external accountant.
- To assist Elders and Deacon of Finance in annual reporting to congregation, which may include a reporting to the congregation at the annual general meeting.
- To issue annual charitable receipts.
- Willing to be flexible with functions and hours.
BOOKKEEPERS DUTIES DO NOT INCLUDE
- Counting, processing and recording the weekly offerings. Scanning cheques and envelopes, counting money, tagging the funds to the donor in Fellowship One, reconciling the deposit and the bank deposit are the responsibility of the Tellering team.
- Responsibility for the T3010 charity return. This will be completed by the External Accountant that performs the audit.
- Responsibility to prepare the budget. The Deacon of Finance will prepare the budget along with the Elders and information supplied from each ministry area. The bookkeeper will provide the necessary historical reports to the Deacon of Finance and Elders for their purposes of creating a budget. The bookkeeper will need to enter in the final budget numbers into the bookkeeping data program.
- Responsibility of contracts, agreements, banking agreements, etc. is not the responsible of the bookkeeper, but that of Harvest Oakville’s Finance Team and the Elders and whom they see fit, based on the nature of the item.
- A degree or diploma in accounting from an accredited educational institution, or appropriate work experience.
- Practical experience in maintaining a full general ledger and account reconciliation.
- Attention to detail and precision in account reconciliation and report generation.
- A commitment to good interpersonal relationships, teamwork and support of church ministries
- A commitment to confidentiality regarding all account records, both of the church and staff, and the members.
- Dependable attendance.
- The ability to meet specific deadlines.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer skills including Quickbooks, Excel, Word, Fellowship One.
- A demonstrated Christian faith commitment (church membership strongly preferred).
Posted Under: Accounting / Finance
Career ID: [ 5608 ]