Director of Music
Director of Music
Hamilton, Ontario , L9C 1X1
CHURCH OF THE RESURRECTION
An Anglican Church of the Diocese of Niagara
435 Mohawk Road West, Hamilton, ON, L9C 1X1
905 389 1942 www.oneresurrection.org
Church of the Resurrection is seeking a Part Time Music Director who can work collaboratively to support our evolving traditions of worship and work as part of our staff team to help the church realize it’s mission to be a ‘joyful, growing and loving community of faith, where you have a place’.
Church of the Resurrection is a relatively small Anglican Church situated on the West Mountain in Hamilton, Ontario. We aim to be a welcoming, inclusive and affirming parish and nurture an active concern for issues of social justice. Our worship is centered around the celebration of the Eucharist and we try to be creative in our liturgy while preserving the shape of Anglican Worship. Our primary services are on Sunday morning at 8.30am (said) and 10.30am which is a sung Eucharist using songs from a variety of sources, which fulfil the needs of the diverse traditions and spiritualities of our congregations. Our year is marked with special services particularly through Holy Week, Easter, Advent, and Christmas. The Choir take a prominent role in many of these celebrations. Our goals for the coming years include diversifying our music and exploring new forms of worship.
• is a caring community and highly committed to fellowship and music ministry.
• is a talented group, eager and willing to learn and be challenged and improve.
• loves of a variety of music.
• currently consists of 17 members singing 4-part harmony (SATB)
• already possess a large repertoire of music.
• includes a range of abilities talents.
• provides leadership for weekly hymns, worship and liturgical music as well as occasional anthems.
• meet for weekly rehearsals (except in the summer) with additional practices as required for forthcoming events.
1. Kawai Digital Piano: full soundboard with multiple sound options. Includes pedals and ability to connect to sanctuary sound system (worship space).
2. Yamaha Clavinova Keyboard: 7 octave- recording features, metronome features, multi-voicing features, pedals (Canterbury room / parish hall).
3. Organ: eminent electronic organ: pedal, great and swell with external speakers (worship space).
We are eager to get the right person to work with us at Resurrection so that they and we might flourish together. To do that we are asking candidates to participate in the following interview process:
1. Lead an ‘observed’ choir practice lasting no more than One Hour in which they will:
a) be asked to lead the choir in a piece already known to them and then
b) Teach/introduce to the choir a song or anthem of their own choice including harmonies, on the theme of ‘Pentecost’.
c) Lead the singing of 2 (two) congregational hymns (which will be given in advance).
d) Perform a piece of music of their own choosing.
2. Take part in a formal interview with our hiring committee which includes the Rector, a Warden of the Church, a congregational representative and representatives of the choir. The candidate will be asked to present a music selection for a specific service which will be sent in advance.
3. Dates and times for the interview are yet to be confirmed.
A video with information about our parish and music performed by our choir can be found at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BKEatswWYQ
Applicants can find more about our church at our website oneresurrection.org, and on Facebook and Twitter (search oneresurrection).
Interested applicants should submit a letter of application with references, a resume and salary expectation to email@example.com
All applications will be treated confidentially.
The deadline for applications is 31st July 2018.
Director of Music
Church of the Resurrection Anglican
To develop and lead a blended style of music for the music ministry of our church, in consultation with the Rector and other team members, in a way that is consistent with Anglican theology and our church vision, to include choir(s), vocal, instrumental, and other expressions of musical experience.
Music is an integral part of the life of the parish and for this reason, the Director of Music exercises an important ministry that reaches out to the staff, choir members, members of the congregation and the community. The Director of Music agrees to recognize and facilitate the pastoral dimension of this position.
Hours of Work and Salary
This is a part time position for 12 hours weekly. The post is paid based one experience.
Normal Hours of Work shall include weekly Sunday morning worship, choir practices and other religious services as required. Other engagements to be by arrangement. Preparation time to be at discretion of employee.
Duration of employment:
After the completion of three months probation this is considered an indefinite contract (subject to the Termination Provision).
- With the Rector and worship planning team, select, plan, and provide a balance of musical styles that will have a multigenerational and multicultural appeal for weekly services (1 x Sunday morning, Taize) and that aim to enhance the overall worship experience.
- Lead the congregation, utilizing a variety of styles of music, including coaching for new songs unfamiliar to the congregation.
- With the Rector select, plan and provide music for special services, including, but not limited to, the Community Carol Service, 3 Christmas Eve Services, Holy Week Services (3 Compline, Maundy Thursday, 2 Good Friday, Easter Vigil, and Easter morning), IDAHOT, and the Feast of St. Francis.
- Prepare for choir practice and become familiar with liturgy.
- To comply with and maintain all safe church boundaries and policies.
- Rehearse the choir weekly, including a choir ‘warm up’ just prior to Sunday morning services.
- To work with the Rector to build community and provide pastoral care to the choir and other musicians.
- Rehearse or otherwise assure preparedness of all music ministry elements.
- To provide music (where required) for all weddings and funerals annually. Compensation for these events is detailed below, our Music Director will have first refusal on these occasions.
- Attend staff meetings (minimum 2 per year).
- Attend regular meetings with and maintain effective communication with the Rector
- Attend worship planning meetings.
- To provide, brief and arrange pay for an appropriate and competent substitute for services where the Music Director is unable to be present.
- To ensure that the Church complies with necessary music copyright laws and standards, including the annual renewing of licenses.
- Oversee the filing, administration, and copying of music. This includes the orderly maintenance of a music library and of a database of hymns, praise music, and anthems used in worship (The actual filing and database logging may be delegated to a volunteer).
- Work with and empower lay volunteers to be part of the music ministry.
- Manage the music ministry budget as set by Vestry, and submit required reports, estimates and requests by specified deadlines.
- Assist in developing opportunities for Youth involvement in the music worship experience
- Promote fellowship within and help recruit new volunteers into the music ministry.
- Meet deadlines for publication or other logistical considerations.
- To provide leadership for and participation in fundraising events and outreach opportunities.
Skills & Qualifications
- A strong understanding of the role of music in worship/spirituality/prayer
- Experience and competence in working with a variety of age groups and types of music (hymns and newer, contemporary music).
- Appropriate experience in leading and training choirs.
- Professional ability with piano and voice (choral)
- Experience in accompanying musical performances
- Ability to work well with others
- Possess basic computer and keyboarding skills
- Excellent communication & interpersonal skills
- Ability to recruit, train, and encourage others in music ministry
- A valid vulnerable sector police records check.
- Bachelor’s degree with a music major or an associate degree from a music conservatory.
- Knowledge of church music and its role in Anglican worship.
- Some experience with technical aspects of contemporary services (e.g. sound boards, video editing, etc.).
- Willingness to seek Professional Development opportunities
• Three (3) weeks vacation annually (pro-rated, no more than 3 Sundays) arranged in consultation with the Rector.
• Any additional absences by prior arrangement and agreement with the Rector.
• Unused vacation may not be carried over beyond the calendar year and does not receive financial compensation.
Benefits and Working Conditions
• The annual salary paid monthly.
• The music Director shall be entitled to a fee of $200 per wedding plus an additional $50 if they are required to be present for a wedding rehearsal.
• The music director shall be entitled to a fee of $200 for every funeral.
• The music director will have first refusal on weddings and funerals and will be paid separately for these events. The Church shall be responsible for collecting these fees from the relevant parties.
• The Music Director may have, by pre-arrangement and internal coordination, the use of the resources of the church (space and instruments) for teaching purposes for the duration of their employment.
** Personal information collected in the relation to the recruitment and hiring process will be held in strictest confidence. All applicants are thanked for their interest; only those chosen for interviews will be contacted.
Posted Under: Pastoral - Music
Career ID: [ 5630 ]