Hamilton, Ontario , L8K 1C3
Indwell is a Christian charity that creates affordable housing communities that support people seeking health, wellness and belonging.
Parkdale Landing promotes housing stability for marginalized individuals, supporting health, wellness and community belonging. The program cook/chef works collaboratively with the support team by ensuring food security, meal preparation and kitchen management.
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week.
Duties for this position include:
* Dinner preparation, service and clean-up for 100 meals daily.
* Ensure the cleanliness, maintenance and organization of all work areas, utensils and equipment.
* Develop weekly meal plan, and create recipe standards of healthy, home-style comfort food within strict budget margins.
* Order, receive, inspect and track inventory of all food and beverage products.
* Achieve economic efficiency while providing top quality product.
* Maintain updated and accurate costing and documentation of all dishes prepared and served.
* Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with the support team and other Indwell departments.
* Follow applicable regulations, policies and procedures.
* Experience in high volume cooking.
* Experience managing fixed food costs through waste management and portion control.
* Excellent time management skills.
* Excellent understanding of all health codes.
* Excellent understanding of all health and safety policies to ensure a safe work environment.
* Must have strong problem solving skills, be able to maintain good interpersonal
relationships and have a genuine interest in supporting people living with mental illness.
* Completion of a high school diploma, or equivalent, and three years’ experience in banquet operations or institutional cooking in a supervisory role, or equivalent combination of education and culinary/kitchen supervisory experience. Degree or certificate in culinary arts preferred. Red Seal Certification preferred.
* Computer literate in Microsoft Windows application is an asset.
* Valid driver’s license and Food Handler’s Certificate required.
* This job requires ability to perform the following:
* Frequently carrying or lifting items weighing up to 25 kilograms.
* Constantly standing and walking throughout the shift.
* Occasional kneeling, pushing, pulling, lifting.
* Work environment – humidity, heat, noise and fumes.
Based on education and experience. Indwell offers a competitive salary, benefits package and RRSP contribution.
Please send cover letter, résumé and completed application (found on website) to Rudy Essegern, Human Resources Manager. Email: ressegern(at)indwell.ca. Alternatively, you can fax all three pieces to 905-529-0355. We thank all applicants; however, only applicants that are being considered will be contacted.
Personal information submitted will be used only for employment opportunities within Indwell in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act.
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Indwell’s Employment Accommodation policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 5637 ]