Relief Front Line Worker
Relief Front Line Worker
Toronto, Ontario , M4L 1A1
Mission and Values Statement
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church and charitable movement, active in over 128 countries worldwide. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity. The Mission of The Salvation Army is to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs, and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world. This is expressed in spiritual ministry, and also by a wide variety of social services, which are extended without discrimination as to race or creed.
There are three Core Values of our Faith: Salvation, Holiness, and Intimacy with God.
Rooted in these three values are the seven core operational values that guide all aspects of the Salvation Army in the Canada & Bermuda Territory.
Compassion: We reach out to others and care for them.
Respect: We promote the dignity of all persons.
Excellence: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
Integrity: We are honest, trustworthy and accountable.
Relevance: We are committed to the pursuit of innovation and effectiveness.
Co-operation: We encourage and foster teamwork and partnerships.
Celebration: We give thanks by marking milestones and successes.
The powerful mission and core values of The Salvation Army serve as significant attractors for those people who choose to join the organization, which has been serving the under-served and evolving for 150 years.
Position Purpose Summary
To work with the Hostel Manager in supporting New Hope Leslieville in achieving its vision of Housing, Outcomes, Mission and Excellence (HOME) by providing outstanding, client centered service in ways that are aligned with The Salvations Army’s core values and Housing First.
Frontline Workers are responsible for the day to day administration of client services to shelter clients including admitting clients, completing a comprehensive intake process including the Triage, monitoring clients in the shelter, proving appropriate supports and referrals, support shelter programming and perform some program administrative duties as well as seeing that all specific shift responsibilities are carried out.
- Admit and discharge clients as required
- Facilitate intake and Triage processes for clients by completing an intake interview in a private space, collecting required information to determine level of service need
- Provide appropriate information and resources, orient residents to hostel regulations and schedules as well as all available services during the intake process
- Ensure resident admission and discharge information is recorded in appropriate places
- Assist with supervision of clients
- Provide practical and emotional support, assistance and encouragement to clients
- Perform all necessary clerical duties for documentation, including SMIS, Hostel Registry, Triage, log book entries, and all other required forms
- Make necessary internal referrals to case management department or pastoral care
- Make necessary/appropriate external referrals to community resources to assist clients in meeting their basic needs and assist in moving towards housing and housing stability
- Support clients in securing identification and completing taxes and gaining income as identified on the Intake Triage
- Monitor the length of stay of clients and notify case management team of significant stays and/or changes in client behaviors that may require greater support
- Support Level 1 clients in navigating basic social service supports
- Sort and process resident mail on a daily basis, stamp and distribute all mail; redirect all mail for residents who are no longer at shelter
- Report all building problems to the Assistant Director or designate
- Ensure all donations received after business hours are received and processed according to policy
- Ensure that all telephone calls are dealt with professionally and appropriately
- Support clients in following agency rules and expectations consistently
- Address concerns that arise due to infractions of rules by clients in ways that are consistent with Toronto Hostel Standards, The Salvation Army policies and procedures with compassionate, and in a non-judgmental and client centered manner
- Arrange for wake-up calls for residents who request them
- Night shifts are responsible for bed checks; to document all necessary ‘Beds Not Used’
- Be awake during entire shift as aligned with Toronto Shelter Standards
- Store and properly document belongings of clients who have booked out
- Make regular rounds throughout building; including walking through the dormitory and bathrooms on all shifts as outlined in shift duties
- Maintain a clean a welcoming atmosphere
- Assist in serving meals as required
- To perform all other related duties as required by management
- Minimum of a 2 year college diploma in social sciences field, preferably as a social worker or social service worker
- Minimum one year experience working in residential settings and/or completed practicum experience working with Toronto Housing and Homeless Supports shelter
- Knowledge, experience understanding and compassion for working with people experiencing homelessness, addictions, mental health and trauma
- Computer and clerical skills
- Fluent in written and spoken English. a second language is an asset
- Ability to function as a team member
- Certification in CPR/First Aid and Crisis Intervention, Applied Suicide Intervention training an asset.
- Possess excellent problem solving skills
- Valid Driver’s License and favorable Driver’s Abstract an asset
- Clear police reference and vulnerable sector check
- Ability to work within the mandate of and embrace the mission of The Salvation Army, exemplifying Christian standards of conduct
HOURS: as needed
SALARY: $18.27 per hour
Interested applicants are asked to contact Darryl Kinnear by August 3, 2018
CUPE represented employees at the New Hope Leslieville have priority over all other applicants.
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
Posted Under: Counselling
Career ID: [ 5638 ]