Christmas in the Chapel presents the Tyndale Community Choir with special guest Laila Biali. Start the Christmas season with traditional favourites and a blend of genres to stir your heart. December 1st at 7 p.m.
Part-Time/Casual Direct Support Assistant
Part-Time/Casual Direct Support Assistant
Oshawa, Ontario , L1N8N5
Interested in being apart of an amazing, life changing experience for a loving, charming young man? Is your passion working with others to ensure they live their best life?
Are you passionate about teaching independent functional life skills in conjunction with a behaviour reduction plan?
You’re looking in the right place! We are seeking to hire passionate, skilled individual(s) with experience and knowledge of the principles of Applied Behaviour Analysis and/or at least two years experience working with individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder to work alongside a super cool, loving and charming young man with ASD, and the family directed group of people who support him, in the Bayview Ave./Steeles Ave. area in Toronto.
The role will involve being a part of a multi-disciplinary team who are working to develop skills in key areas to increase functional life skills and to address and reduce behaviours that interfere with functioning. Direct support for the individual will also involve understanding and assisting with significant bio-medical and emotional needs, teaching and assisting of daily activities and routines involved in independent living and community inclusion. The individual in this role will report to the lead Behaviour Therapist/Coordinator, Home Coordinator on-site, and the individual’s network of support. He/She will also be mentored by a BCBA Consultant in collaboration with a Family Facilitator.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Support the client by implementing components of the individualized Behaviour Support Plan (BSP) to reduce challenging self-injurious behaviour, and replace with functional life skills, under the supervision of the on-site behaviour therapist/coordinator
- Have the ability to record daily data in accordance with the BSP, under the supervision of the Behaviour Therapist/Coordinator
- Provide direct support and care to the individual to carry out his day-to-day tasks both at home and in the community such as: health and personal care, dietary care and meal preparation, recreational and leisure activities, community outings and family-related activities
- Work collaboratively with team members to provide cohesive, fluid support
- Participate fully in staff training opportunities and ensure to implement components of the staff-training checklist outlined by the Behaviour Therapist/Coordinator
- Participate fully in regular team meetings
- Uphold, support and contribute to the vision of a full contributing life in the community for and with this young man
This role works towards the overall goal of demonstrating the benefit of individualized, community–based and family-led approaches to support. This unique project not only provides the individual with high quality, customized support to live a meaningful life but offers team members the chance to be part of an innovative and creative, evidence-based approach that may impact what supports can look like for others in the future. The role will also support the goal of working under the supervision of an exceptional BCBA Consultant and assistant to hone ABA service delivery skills in a community based, functional setting.
Requirements and Core Competencies:
- An undergraduate degree or diploma in behavioural sciences, Applied Behaviour Analysis, Autism studies, community or social work, or a related field
- At least two years experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities, specifically Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Relevant working experience in behavioural intervention for individuals with Autism is an asset
- Past experience working with individuals with challenging behaviours such as self-injury and aggression
- Experience with seeing/assisting individuals in their most vulnerable states
- The ability to work and communicate effectively with other team members, as well as close family members of the individual
- A willingness to learn in a hands-on environment that offers a challenging atmosphere for personal growth
- A highly motivated attitude that seeks personal satisfaction in the success of the lives of others
- An ability to remain calm and optimistic in times of pressure
- An ability to juggle multiple tasks and competing priorities
- Excellent communication skills tailored to the individual, his support team, and his community
- Driver’s license (is an asset)
- Police Information Request for the Vulnerable Services Sector
We are currently seeking casual team members for daytime or evening hours during the week and on weekends. This position will offer the potential for growth based on performance into other part-time or full-time roles. Please include a covering letter and note preference for daytime or evening or weekend specific work and present availability.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 6024 ]