Christmas in the Chapel presents the Tyndale Community Choir with special guest Laila Biali. Start the Christmas season with traditional favourites and a blend of genres to stir your heart. December 1st at 7 p.m.
Next Steps Minister
Next Steps Minister
Victoria, British Columbia
Since 1975 The Mustard Seed Street Church has been essential in fighting hunger and restoring faith to our community in Greater Victoria. Our operations are nearly 100 percent community funded and include Vancouver Island’s largest Food Bank, a Family Center, Hospitality programs, an addictions recovery program, and Sunday morning services. On any given Sunday folks from all walks of life – homeless, Seed staff, working poor, families, middle-aged volunteers, or students – gather to talk about God, faith, and life. The sermons are animated. The community is inclusive. The stories are unforgettable.
About the Position
The Next Steps Minister (NSM) is a key team member in the vibrant life of the Mustard Seed Street Church (MSSC). Acting in leadership, the NSM will help develop and implement a Christ centered ministry dedicated to ensuring that everyone feels welcome in our doors and guiding the congregation towards engagement in our community. The main job functions of the NSM include leading volunteers in the door greeting ministry, small groups ministry, and MSSC weekend dinners as well as personally connecting and following up with new and existing community members. The NSM will also ensure a safe, secure, and welcoming environment, providing information about internal and external resources as well as spiritual care and support for the people we serve.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work as part of a ministry team with the other pastoral staff in bringing a unified vision for the operations of the MSSC
- Create and maintain an organized learning environment in the follow-up, small group, greeting, and dinner teams geared towards continual ministry improvement
- Maintain and implement a safe method for gathering and following up on information received from first time guests of the Sunday service
- Follow-up with first time guests by communicating via email, text, or telephone invitations to Church programs, and engaging in informal dialogue
- Receive prayer requests and pass them onto the prayer team
- Attend the service at The Mustard Seed Street Church every Sunday and keep an up to date attendance list of attendees
- Follow-up with church members who have been absent for multiple Sunday services, gently inquiring about their wellbeing
- When present, monitor all public areas of the main floor and ensure a welcoming, safe, secure environment in all areas of first contact, e.g. from street curb to reception to chapel.
- Take the lead in resolving conflict and de-escalating potential volatile situations, filling out Critical Incident Reports and enforcing Health and Safety policies and procedures.
- Maintain knowledge of laws and legislation as they pertain to the population served by the Mustard Seed Street Church.
- Support and oversee response to emergency services
- Act as a social support on behalf of community members, work for social justice, and take appropriate action when required. Suggest and facilitate referrals to other agencies defined by need.
- Assist in the organization and execution of weekly dinners on weekends, coordinating set-up and take down of tables and chairs, overseeing volunteers, and maintaining a safe environment for guests.
- Participate in the Christian ministry of The Mustard Seed Street Church including attendance of chapel, staff meetings and training opportunities in consultation with supervisor
- All other duties as required
- Proven experience in a service role within a church ministry or social engagement within a ministry similar to the Mustard Seed Community
- An undergraduate degree in a related field, preferably Bible College, or an appropriate combination of education and experience
- Have a vision for spiritual and ministry growth for The Mustard Seed Street Church
- Demonstrated ability to work with vulnerable persons
- Demonstrated aptitude to lead ministries
- Able to safely lift and move up to 50lbs.
- Experience initiating and developing programs in a Christian environment
- Computer Skills; working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Christian commitment and in agreement with and sign the Mustard Seed Code of Conduct
- Compassionate and caring heart
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Calling, compassion and sensitivity for vulnerable people of all ages and backgrounds
- Is spiritually mature, discerning, prayerful
- Team Player
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of integrity and confidentiality
Terms of Employment
- This position is with The Mustard Seed Street Church and requires a person who has made a Christian commitment and is in agreement with, and willing to sign the Statement of Faith of The Mustard Seed Street Church and the staff code of conduct
- This position reports to: Church Pastor/Hospitality Pastor depending on duty
- Terms: Paid on an hourly basis
- Hours: up to 30/week; this position includes nights and weekends
- Must read and agree to follow The Mustard Seed Policy and Procedure Manual which is a living, changing document
- The Mustard Seed Street Church follows BC Employment Standards for termination
- Must provide an acceptable criminal record check, including the level of clearance required to workwith vulnerable people before starting.
If this sounds like a great fit for you, pleae apply using the website link provided above!
Posted Under: Pastoral
Career ID: [ 6032 ]