Christmas in the Chapel presents the Tyndale Community Choir with special guest Laila Biali. Start the Christmas season with traditional favourites and a blend of genres to stir your heart. December 1st at 7 p.m.
Casual Social Services Support
Casual Social Services Support
Victoria, British Columbia
Since 1975 The Mustard Seed Street Church has been essential in fighting hunger and restoring faith to our community in Greater Victoria. Our operations are nearly 100 percent community funded and include Vancouver Island's largest Food Bank, a Family Centre, Hospitality programs, and an addictions recovery program at Hope Farm Healing Centre. We also offer church services for those seeking a place to belong and grow spiritually. Through these core programs we assist over 5,000 people each month with the help of more than 50 daily volunteers and many generous financial supporters!
About the Job:
Are you a jack of all trades with a heart for the community? We are looking for a pool of casual staff that are willing and qualified to work in a casual position among our different ministries, with a particular focus on our Hospitality programs in our daily drop-in centre for the street community.
Duties & Responsibilities
At Queens (Victoria):
- Works collaboratively and fosters a team environment with all departments
- Working in guest services or warehouse under the direction of Food Security Manager
- Provides hospitality and support to the Mustard Seed Community under the direction of the Hospitality Staff
- Assist with Evening and daytime meals as required
- Monitors all public areas of the main floor and ensures a welcoming, safe, secure environment extending to areas of first contact, e.g. from street curb to reception to chapel
- Assisting in Reception as needed
- Helping with maintenance and cleaning under the direction of the Facilities Coordinator
At Viewfield Warehouse (Esquimalt):
- Casual shifts available as determined by the Manager of Food Security
- Being a Christian Ambassador for The Mustard Seed in the community when driving or swamping and picking up donations and at events
- Assisting in the warehouse as needed
For All Locations
- Key is the ability and willingness to get to all locations either by private vehicle or public transportation
- Participates in ongoing training and maintains mandatory certification
- Participate in the Christian ministry of The Mustard Seed Street Church including attendance of chapel/prayer times, staff meetings and training opportunities in consultation with supervisor
- Leadership of volunteers
- Other related duties as required
- Christian commitment and in agreement with and sign the Mustard Seed Code of Conduct
- The ability to work effectively with those in addictive behaviors and lifestyles
- Excellent verbal and written communication, working knowledge of Microsoft office
- Committed to the health and well-being self and others
- Able to effectively resolve conflicts and work with challenging personalities
- Good knowledge of addictions theories and approaches to recovery
- The ability to work well in flexible situations
- Physically fit and ability to lift up to 50 pounds safely
- Required- Class 5 driver’s license and an acceptable driver’s abstract; Asset - Class 4 driver’s license
- Required – Standard First Aid and CPR-C; Food Safe, WHIMIS; or ability to obtain within 6 weeks
- Asset- ASSIST, Mental Health First Aid, conflict resolution training
- Spiritually mature, discerning, prayerful, compassionate
- Dedicated, honest, teachable, and a team player.
- Able to maintain the highest degree of integrity and confidentiality
- Self-starter and also works collaboratively as part of a team
- Show initiative in understanding/developing relationships
- Be comfortable, decisive and assertive (when necessary) in addressing difficult circumstances
- Trustworthy, Flexible when dealing with conflicting priorities
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work under pressure
- Exceptional active listener
Terms of Employment
- This position is with The Mustard Seed Street Church and requires a person who has made a Christian commitment.
- Must be willing to sign the staff code of conduct
- This position reports to: the supervisor in the various areas
- Term : Casual Position with no set number of hours available
- Must read and agree to following The Mustard Seed policies which are a living , changing document
- The Mustard Seed follows BC Employment Standards Law for Terminations
- Must provide an acceptable criminal record check, including the level of clearance required to work with vulnerable people.
If this sounds like a great fit for you, please use the website link provided above!
Posted Under: Ministry - General
Career ID: [ 6082 ]