Markham, Ontario , L3P 3J3
the bridge is a multi-ethnic and multi-generational church located in Markham. the bridge exists to create transformational connections with God, Self, the Church, and World. We do this together through our Gatherings, our Groups, our Giving and our Going. We gather for a renewed and inspired perspective, we group to put this inspired life into practice, we give to produce growth, and we go to perpetuate the goodness of God.
the bridge is looking for a part-time Custodian to work approximately 15 hours per week. The Custodian’s primary role will be to provide custodial support during Sunday services and help maintain the church’s cleanliness during the evenings. He/she will also assist with the preparation for and clean-up from events and weekend services, as well as help maintain the grounds. The Custodian will work under the supervision of the Facilities Coordinator.
Custodial & Sunday Support:
- Cleaning of public and office areas as required during the week: auditorium, atrium, classrooms, meeting rooms, café, bathrooms, kitchen, windows/doors, vacuuming, mopping, dusting, waste and recycling removal, etc.
- Work with the facilities team and staff to ensure all areas are cleaned, organized and stocked with necessary custodial and building supplies.
- Basic building maintenance such as changing bulbs, basic troubleshooting for plumbing and HVAC, etc.
- Open the church for Sunday morning services and provide custodial support during services, greeting guests as able, assist with setting up additional chairs for services, emptying waste / recycling as required, event set-up for Sunday events, and resolving other facilities issues that may arise as required.
- Shovel and ice front entrance and walkways if necessary.
- Close and ensuring the building is secure prior to leaving.
- Helping maintain the grounds: entranceways, parking lot, and sidewalks. e.g. snow / ice removal and salting of entrances and sidewalks, weeding, lawn mowing, etc.
Ministry & Event Support:
- Assist with event preparations and clean up, including set-up and tear down of rooms for ministry and rental use.
- Occasional Sunday building and custodial support, including opening and closing of the building.
- Act as point of contact for custodial needs for ministry events and facility rentals as required.
- Liaise with staff, volunteers, vendors and guests in a respectful and positive manner.
- Liaise with staff and emergency responders during times of emergency.
The successful candidate will have:
- General knowledge of cleaning procedures, products and equipment. Training will be provided.
- Good organizational skills with the ability to problem-solve, adapt to change and take initiative.
- The ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Very good communication and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to climb stairs, lift up to 50 lbs, and carry out manual work.
- Proficient in MS Word and Excel, basic use of the church database, email and smartphone.
- Strong attention to detail with appreciation for the presentation and safety of the building and grounds.
Hours of work
This is a part-time position. Must be able to work evenings and Sundays for weekend services. Additional hours during weekdays, evenings and weekends may be available based on ministry needs, facility rentals and vacation relief.
For more information on the bridge, go to www.thebridgemarkham.com. If you are interested in this employment opportunity, please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. the bridge invites fully qualified candidates to apply for the following position(s), however Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. All applications will be reviewed but only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 6187 ]