Toronto, Ontario , M5B2C7
In this full-time permanent position, you will be responsible for the successful leadership and management of the organization according to the strategic direction set by the Board of Grace Toronto Church.
Grace Toronto Church (GTC) is a growing, vibrant, multi-site church in the heart of the city – a church in the city for the city. We have planted a site, a daughter church, and have had three interns plant churches in Toronto and Ottawa since the replanting of GTC in 2006. We were planted and re-planted by Redeemer Presbyterian Church in New York City, under the leadership of Tim Keller.
Our vision is to see Toronto renewed socially, spiritually, and culturally and made into a great city in every way. We long for Toronto to become a place where grace and mercy reign, where peace is practiced and lived out, and where racial, ethnic, and socio-economic differences are removed by the power of the gospel. Our vision is rooted in the good news that Jesus is lord of the city, the saviour and redeemer of the city, and the coming judge of the city. We long to see Him worshipped and cherished in every part of the city. We are one church that meets in 2 locations in downtown Toronto. GTC is a congregation in the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA). Our doctrinal beliefs are expressed in the Westminster Confession of Faith.
Are you the candidate we are seeking?
The executive director oversees the GTC organization. This candidate must be a great strategic planner, an effective communicator and be able to manage a staff of about 20. Are you a self-starter who likes to work in a fast paced, entrepreneurial and collegial environment? If so, you may be the candidate we are seeking!
Here is what you will get to do in this role:
Overview: GTC is looking for an Executive Director (ED) to lead its church staff in executing the overall vision (purpose, core convictions, objectives, strategic initiatives) of the Senior Pastor (SP) and Board of Elders. The ED will oversee the ministries and day-to-day affairs of GTC for maximum efficiency. To do this, the ED will have three different roles/functions: Mission Execution, Strategic Oversight, and New Strategy Catalyst as outlined below:
- Mission Execution:
The ED will focus on executing of the vision and mission of the Senior Pastor (SP) and Board of Elders (Elders) at GTC so that all ministries are aligned and integrated.
- Reporting & Visibility. Provide visibility into every ministry to ensure that our vision is being fulfilled. Perform an annual “church audit” to ensure we are following the vision and mission appropriately
- Financial Responsibility. Champion the budgeting process for GTC, interfacing with the staff and Finance Team to produce and present budgets to achieve Session-instituted objectives, and to manage budgets with staff over various ministries, ensuring GT staff and ministries stay within budgetary guidelines.
- Operational Efficiency. Ensure each ministry is achieving its full purpose and is integrated into the overall mission of the church.
- Process driven. Advise, assist and support the development of the long-range vision process with a special “eye” to its execution and implementation.
- Human Resources. Leverage external HR expertise to ensure staff are properly incorporated into relevant, fair, clear, appropriate HR policies and procedures. Oversee hiring, performance evaluations and compensation.
- Building Management. Manages building management committee and facilities & rental team and to ensure 383 Jarvis St is well maintained and implement building policies.
- Strategic Oversight:
The ED will focus on developing, exhorting and leading staff in their ministry assignments as “Chief of Staff”, representing the SP when he is not present, guiding and directing the overall staff community to meet the needs of the church.
- Team Building:
- Develop and refine the staff organizational structure in order to optimize decision-making, communication and team building.
- Hire and release staff as necessary to build a dynamic ministry team for Grace Toronto.
- Liaise between Staff and SP and Elders
- Meet regularly with the SP to provide progress summaries for the ongoing accomplishment of GTC goals and plans.
- Facilitate solid communication between the staff and Elders, and between staff and congregation as needed.
- Strategic/Effectiveness Coach:
- Mentor staff through one-on-one meetings that combine professional, ministry and some personal support/accountability, with special emphasis upon professional needs and issues.
- Equip staff with good organizational tools including goal setting and coaching
- Implement staff performance evaluation process. Provide informal reviews regularly.
- Define, develop and coordinate pastoral skills/ leadership training opportunities for staff, combining of both external and in-house resources for staff professional development.
- Lead staff meetings and seek to instill a high level of focus and motivation in church employees.
- Handle staff problems and conflicts as necessary
- Team Building:
- New Strategy Catalyst:
The ED will, in conjunction and coordinated with the SP, counsel and challenge all staff ministries (and some non-staff as assigned) to strategically plan initiatives in ways that move the overall vision forward.
- Mobilize staff-wide strategic ministry planning to reflect the high level priorities of the church in their respective areas of ministry. ED will review and approve each plan, holding staff accountable for their execution throughout the year.
- Constantly looks for ways to improve and enhance existing ministries.
- Identify ministry initiatives or areas not aligned with the purpose, convictions, and objectives of GTC and recommend actions for change or dissolution.
- Manage Special Projects. Identify, create and delegate special projects (building campaign) aimed at specific problems or opportunities to staff, empowered volunteers or paid consultants as needed.
- Fully aligned with the message, mission and ministry strategy of GTC
- Spiritually mature to represent GTC well
- Agreement and adherence to GTC’s Leadership Agreement
- Seasoned leader and has demonstrated ability to handle pace, complexity and volume
- Experience in developing strategies and plans
- Organizational acumen – ability to manage organizational complexity and create effective organizational structure to bring definition, clarity and focus to a large and diverse team of vocational staff and volunteers.
- Self-starter – strong bias to action
- Has lead several high performance teams and is an expert at handling team dynamics and motivating and equipping others to new standard of excellence
- Candidate has observable leadership skills and demonstrates a high level of intellectual capacity and emotional intelligence.
- Excellent interpersonal communicator – actively listens, checks understanding, and uses language and tone appropriate for the audience; expresses ideas clearly and logically; builds rapport; manages the emotions of self and others.
- Education: a Bachelors degree; Masters degree is a bonus.
- Proficient in using MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), email, internet navigation, cloud storage (e.g. drop box)
Note: pulpit/teaching experience is NOT expected or needed
- Reports to Senior Pastor and Elder Board
- Ministry Directors, Church Administrator, Building Facilities Team and some volunteer committees report to ED
This position will work out of Grace Toronto Church’s downtown location.
What we offer
You will lead and work alongside amazing people in our community who love Jesus and are learning to put into practice what it means to follow Him. You will join a staff team who are also self-starters, like to collaborate together, genuinely care for each other and especially have fun together.
Interested in playing this role?
Please email your cover letter and resume to Dan MacDonald, Senior Pastor at Grace Toronto Church (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. This is a full-time permanent position.
If you can access this posting online through the church’s website, then the position has not yet been filled. GTC is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Posted Under: Executive
Career ID: [ 6193 ]