Senior Financial Accountant
Senior Financial Accountant
The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services - food, clothing and housing, and support services – education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta and British Columbia.
Reporting to the Finance Manager, the Senior Financial Accountant assists in providing financial information in a timely and accurate manner to senior management as needed. This role reviews and reconciles intercompany transactions, compiles financial statements, analyzes and reconciles general ledger accounts, maintains depreciation schedules, prepares bank account reconciliations, analyzes all organizational transactions, and lessens the heavy workload of the Finance Manager by assisting wherever is required.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare accurate and timely financial statements and management financial reports;
- Prepare monthly working paper files;
- Assist with external audit requests;
- Maintain depreciation/fixed assets continuity schedules;
- Conduct monthly and quarterly account reconciliations;
- Perform donation and account analysis;
- Prepare monthly grant returns;
- Prepare GST filings, T2, and T3010 filings;
- Analyze financial statements for discrepancies and other issues that should be brought to management attention;
- Examine financial records to check for accuracy and post adjusting journal entries if required;
- Conduct regular ledger maintenance;
- Prepare periodic cash flow statements and control expenditure and cash flow;
- Maintain an effective internal control system;
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting, Commerce, Business Administration, or related field;
- Completion of, or consistent progress towards a CPA designation, with expected completion within 2 years;
- 5+ years accounting experience with a demonstrated level of increasing responsibilities;
- At least 3 years at a senior level .
- Proven experience with full cycle accounting, financial statement preparation and analysis, and account reconciliations;
- Ability to work both independently and in a collaborative team-oriented environment;
- Self-directed with the ability to show initiative and take responsibility;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Proficient in MS Office (Excel, Word, and Outlook); intermediate to advanced knowledge of Excel is required;
- Excellent client service skills and ability to handle high volumes and multiple priorities in a professional, courteous manner while meeting strict deadlines;
- Positive and professional work ethics, which include: Collaboration, Accountability, Respect and Excellence;
- Experience with Financial Force would be an asset;
- Must pass criminal record check;
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith.
- Office Setting, Monday – Friday during business hours;
- Flexible working hours and some overtime may be required;
- Pro-longed periods of sitting, computer use;
- Minimal physical effort;
- Moderate to extreme mental effort;
- Limited travel may be required
Start date: once a suitable candidate is found
Apply online using our Position Application Form on our Careers page. (https://themustardseedhr.wufoo.eu/forms/position-application-form/)
The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, and flex days. The Mustard Seed embraces the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation.
Posted Under: Accounting / Finance
Career ID: [ 6234 ]