Senior Communications Coordinator
Senior Communications Coordinator
Calgary , Alberta
The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services— food, clothing and housing, and support services—education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta and British Columbia.
Reporting to the Director of Marketing, Communications & Brand, the Communications Specialist is a key member of a dynamic team, working to pursue overall departmental goals through effective leadership and professional communications. Working independently and as part of a collaborative team, the primary responsibilities of this permanent full-time position include managing media relations; conducting research, writing and editing; strategic planning as it relates to brand management, annual campaigns and external/internal communications projects; along with photography, video production and social media. The Communications Specialist will be in charge of day to day administration of the communications team, serve all of Alberta - TMS locations which includes Calgary, Edmonton and Red Deer.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Implement communications activities, develop and monitor processes and share information with internal and external audiences.
- Track, monitor and evaluate PR strategies and media impressions.
- Coordinate research and write content for the quarterly newsletter and other collateral materials to communicate inspiring stories about The Mustard Seed programs and guests.
- Compile and distribute weekly media summaries for all of Alberta.
- Lead Media Relations by developing the media strategy to include, key messages, writing news releases and advisories, planning media events, pitching stories and creating media kits.
- Manage media, write speaking notes, develop Q&A’s, and coach spokespeople to perform well in interviews with support from Director of Marketing & Communications.
- Expand media contacts, maintains strong and effective working relationships with media contacts and engages independently in conversations with reporters and editors.
- Promote cooperative relationships with TMS departments to increase program awareness or knowledge of TMS services.
- Contributes to the development of content strategy for TMS social media channels: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linked in and Blogs.
- Develop the tactics, input to meetings for the writing team, and oversee the scheduling and planning of the newsletter, media relations, and report to community.
- Accept additional duties and responsibilities as directed.
Minimum Qualifications and Skills
- A passion to serve the homeless and to be part of ending homelessness in Alberta.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as Communications, Public Relations or Journalism with a maximum of 5 years related work experience.
- Thorough knowledge of internal communications, with a demonstrated ability to support change management, employee engagement, internal branding, and values-based communications.
- Demonstrated experience with writing content for newsletters, media relations and social media.
- Strong ability to manage sensitive projects and issues in a fast paced environment
- Superior storytelling skills through a variety of mediums.
- Proficient with computer applications, including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Suite, Content Management Systems such as SharePoint, social media engagement tools such as Hootsuite, etc. Experience with Premiere Pro would be an asset
- Self-motivated, proactive, energetic and goal-oriented with superior interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Previous experience working in a not-for-profit organization is highly desirable.
- Ability to provide, and sensitivity in providing, respectful service to diverse populations.
- A strong knowledge of media/public relations including social media.
- Permanent Full-Time Employee – 40 hours per week. This position will be based in downtown Calgary with travel to Edmonton, Red Deer and other areas in Alberta as required.
- Employment Security Check is required
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our Statement of Faith.
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada
Start date: once a suitable candidate is found
Apply online using our Position Application Form on our Careers page. (https://themustardseedhr.wufoo.eu/forms/position-application-form/)
The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, and flex days. The Mustard Seed embraces the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation.
Posted Under: Marketing/Sales
Career ID: [ 6336 ]