Thrift Store Manager
Thrift Store Manager
Hamilton, Ontario , L8H 3Z1
The Giving Closet Thrift Shop is a ministry of Crown Point Community Church that is located in the Crown Point Neighbourhood (Ottawa Street Area) of Hamilton. The goal of The Giving Closet is to provide gently used clothing and goods to the community at affordable prices, while also providing an opportunity for people to donate and recycle goods that would otherwise go to the landfill. The Giving Closet is more than “just a thrift store”; it is an opportunity to form relationships with shoppers, volunteers as well as other community organizations and churches. The vision is for this thrift store to be for the community, with all profits being reinvested in our neighbourhood and city.
The Thrift Store Manager will be a member of the staff at Crown Point Community Church. They are expected to exhibit a commitment to: a personal Christian faith and discipleship and active membership in a local church. (We would prefer for them to attend Crown Point Community Church but are open to active membership in another church.)
- 2+ years of management experience.
- Retail experience (including cashier experience) preferred.
- Relevant education in business preferred
- Proven ability to multi-task and manage in a multi-dimensional and dynamic work environment.
- Self-motivated and willing to take initiative, and able to work as a team with the Shop Committee, other employees and volunteers.
- Strong interpersonal skills, willing and able to work with a variety of people from diverse backgrounds. They should be friendly, outgoing and appreciative of the volunteers working at the shop.
- Ability to think on one’s feet and problem solve, with strong conflict resolution skills
- Ability to lead and motivate volunteers.
- Intermediate Internet, email, social media and typing skills.
- Current First Aid training, WHIMIS and Occupational Health and Safety knowledge (training may be provided in first three months of employment.
- Satisfactory police record check.
The Giving Closet Thrift Shop is a ministry in and of itself, providing low cost goods to people in our community, with any profits being reinvested into our local neighbourhood. Thrift Shops make a valuable contribution to good stewardship and a healthy environment by recycling items that might otherwise be thrown away. In addition, it provides a sense of community to volunteers and the people we serve through social interaction in a caring community.
With the guidance and direction provided by the shop committee, the Thrift Shop Manager is responsible for the daily operations of the Thrift Shop from receiving to the retail floor, promoting and implementing best practices throughout the shop. This includes providing oversight and support for volunteers, cultivating and maintaining a team approach. The manager will ensure that the shop is running in harmony with the vision and goals of Crown Point Community Church.
This assignment is available on a full-time salaried basis (40-44hrs/week). Assignment will involve working varying shifts, including Saturdays. Current store hours are Tues 10-5, Wed 10-5, Thurs 1-8, Fri 10-5, Sat 10-4. Yearly Salary of $45,000-$50,000 without benefits (or also open to a lesser amount with the inclusion of benefits if that is preferred). Position includes 2 weeks vacation per year. Vacation times must be approved by Shop Committee.
- Oversee the daily operations of the shop. This includes but is not limited to shop opening and closing; special events and sales; counting, recording and depositing daily cash; ensuring the shop is neat, clean and attractive; supervising, assisting and supporting daily volunteers; operating cash register as required; updating policies and procedures as required; answering and responding to phone and email communication.
- Oversee the daily activities of the shop workroom (i.e. receiving, sorting, pricing and recycling).
- Maintain product merchandising including layout, displays, signage and special features.
- Maintain quality and price control and merchandise rotation schedules.
- Oversee, and engage staff and volunteers in all areas of the shop to complete all assigned tasks for the day.
- Maintain a high level of integrity, reflecting Christian respect and Christ's unconditional love to those we serve, including the staff and volunteers.
- Articulate the mission of the thrift shop
- Appreciating and recognize volunteers.
- Oversee training of new volunteers (volunteer coordinator does the initial intake & orientation)
- Lead and Manage volunteers who are working in the thrift store
- Work with Volunteer Coordinator to ensure volunteers are appropriately scheduled. (Volunteer coordinator will be responsible for the acquisition of volunteers and is currently doing the scheduling. The scheduling of volunteers would be shifted to the manager once they are established in the role.)
- Responsible for daily shop administration and promotion, including data entry of daily sales, mail, petty cash, maintaining volunteer records, submitting expense forms, etc.
- Promote sales through in store advertising and social media
- Attend Church Staff meetings on a monthly basis (at the thrift shop)
Working Conditions: The position requires working in a comfortable but fast-paced retail store environment and requires spending a significant portion of time on one's feet. It requires the ability to respond to the often-simultaneous demands from customers, volunteers and occasional requests for aid. From time to time there is also the need to deal with drug-addicted and/or street-involved persons. This position also involves the handling of used goods and the lifting of objects of up to 50 lbs
Please submit Cover Letters & Resumes to Pastor Jason Brown - Jason@crownpointcommunity.ca. Resumes will be reviewed as of Jan 28th and will be received until the position is filled. We are seeking to fill the position as soon as possible.
Posted Under: Management
Career ID: [ 6353 ]