Waterloo, Ontario , N2L 1W3
First Baptist is seeking a Senior Pastor since our current pastor is retiring after many years of faithful ministry.
We are an established ministry located in city of Waterloo in the vicinity of both universities – University of Waterloo and Wilfred Laurier University. We are a diverse congregation with people of all ages and from many different nations. We are multicultural with active ESL and Korean ministries.
We seek as a church to reach the lost for Jesus Christ in the Region of Waterloo through our local church ministries and across Canada and around the world through our mission’s outreach program. Through our missions’ program we support missionaries and mission projects in many countries of the world.
We are seeking the man of choosing to lead us as we seek to continue to Glorify God. If you feel led of the Lord to be considered as a candidate please submit your resume and any other relevant information to FBC’s search committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
Pastoral Profile Overview
The Senior Pastor is the under-shepherd and provides spiritual oversight and direction of the church and its ministries. This would include providing leadership through biblical expository preaching/teaching; exercising biblically defined pastoral duties (1 Tim 3:1-7; Titus 1:5-9 and 1 Peter 5:1-4); and leading and equipping ministry staff and lay leaders in defining and implementing the church’s vision. It would also include the overall leadership of the day-to-day operations of the church.
The Senior Pastor needs a firm foundation for his life and ministry and this comes from possessing a godly character (1Tim 4:12). To be credible with the congregation a pastor needs to demonstrate this characteristic which is best evidenced by living what he preaches. “The greatest need of my people is my personal holiness” – Robert Murray McCheyne wrote. A pastor also needs to demonstrate spiritual vitality, which he needs to be able to pass on to the congregation.
Not all pastors’ ministries are the same but at least 6 key duties/characteristics are essential for successful local church ministry.
Shepherding: As the under-shepherd the Senior Pastor needs a shepherd’s heart for the people he serves and provide godly leadership while protecting the spiritual wellbeing and providing opportunities for growth in Christ-likeness for all who attend FBC (John 21:16).
Preaching/Teaching: The Senior Pastor affirms the authority of the Scriptures and exalts Biblical principles by faithful expository preaching of God’s Word – thereby nourishing the flock and protecting it from false doctrine. Just as Paul exhorted Timothy! (2 Tim 4:2-5)
Loving: The measure of a pastor’s love for God is directly linked to his care for Christ’s sheep. That’s what the Lord told Peter after Peter affirmed his love for Christ. He told him to take care of His sheep (John 21:16). So, how can a pastor love Christ? By loving Christ’s church!
Leading: The under-shepherd not only feeds the sheep, he leads the sheep and directs them wisely. The faithful pastor understands that Christ Jesus has given His Church a mission to accomplish in this world and seeks to keep the congregation focused on the mission.
Vision-Casting: Working with the ministry staff and church members, the Senior Pastor provides leadership in fulfilling the great commission by reaching out to those lost sheep outside the church that Jesus died for, in the greater Kitchener-Waterloo area, Canada and around the world.
Managing: The Senior Pastor needs to possess administrative and management skills with the ability to plan, set goals, promote church related events and organize leadership training to help achieve ministry goals. He also needs to possess inter-personnel and team-building skills.
While no pastor will be perfect when it comes to embodying these duties/characteristics, all pastors should seek to make progress in each area. As Paul told Timothy: “Meditate on these things; give yourself entirely to them, that your progress may be evident to all.” (1 Tim 4:15).
- Meet the biblical qualifications of a pastoring/teaching elder
- Acts 6:1-6; 20:28-31; 1 Tim 3:1-13; Titus 1:5-9 and 1 Peter 5:1-7.
- Be Spirit-filled
- Possess a lifestyle characterized by moral integrity, ethics and servant leadership
- Handle and communicate the Scriptures and in a robust and compelling fashion
- Proficient in biblical theology and the ability to convey biblical truth
- Have a recognized ordination or be willing to pursue the same.
- Able to accept the constitution and policies of FBC
- Possess Th.M. or M.Div. and 5 years in pastoral ministry and church leadership
- Experience in leading a staff team and volunteers in a unified vision and direction
- Possess strong administrative and communication skills
- Able to plan, set goals, promote events, and organize leadership development
- Able to mentor, encourage, motivate and show true compassion to all
- Possess good interpersonal skills with an ability to listen
Responsibilities of the Senior Pastor would include, but are not limited to:
- Seeking to glorify God in all aspects of the church’s ministries
- Shepherding the flock
- Providing the overall direction for Sunday worship services
- Affirming the authority of God’s Word through expository preaching
- Implementing the church’s vision and values
- Overseeing and being involved in pastoral counselling and crisis intervention
- Championing mission and ministry opportunities for the congregation and staff in fulfilling the great commission
- Building strong relationships with the congregation and our community
- Motivating staff and lay leaders to develop their spiritual gifts and to grow in their love for, and dependence upon Christ
- Maintaining and cultivating personal devotions and growth in the word of God
- Maintaining a healthy balance between family life and ministry life
Posted Under: Pastoral
Career ID: [ 6390 ]