Vaughan Site Pastor
Vaughan Site Pastor
Concord, Ontario , L4K 1M8
Role Commitment: Full Time Role
Reports to: Lead Pastor
Upper Room Community Church (URCC) is a young and dynamic faith community, with congregations meeting in the city of Bolton and the city of Vaughan. The city of Vaughan is one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, with a population over 350,000, made up largely of young families with children at home. It is a city with strong religious backgrounds, predominantly Italian Catholic, but becoming increasingly diverse in recent years. Within the Greater Toronto Area, it has a very low number of evangelical churches per capita. For this reason, Upper Room was planted in the city of Vaughan in 2005. From the beginning, URCC has provided a place for Christians to grow in their relationship with Jesus and for the unchurched or "religiously lapsed" to discover an authentic relationship with Christ and His Church. At the Vaughan site, there are 250 adults and 80 children who call URCC home, meeting on Sundays in Colossus Theater, and weekly in 13 regional Home Groups and a JH/SH youth group. URCC’s vision is to be a community with a “Deep Faith, and Wide Embrace”; to grow in knowing and loving Jesus more, and, as a result, growing in our love and service of others.
Our model recognizes that people grow in that intimacy with Christ through our six faith catalysts:
- First Encounter
- Celebrate Weekly
- Group Together
- Serve Side-by-Side
- Apprentice with Jesus
- Live on Mission
The way Upper Room operates is grounded in our three core values:
- We’re better together
- We expect the mess
- Our faith is about everyday life
In the fall of 2016, URCC stepped into a new chapter of this vision; that in the next decade we would see 5 congregations impacting 3000 people, in the places where we live. This goal is shaped by a few deeply-held convictions:
- Several smaller congregations rather than one large one will make for a better expression of URCC’s culture, calling and effectiveness
- A live, team-based approach to preaching is better for the long-run health of the church
- New churches/congregations reach new people and raise new leaders
- A commitment to continual multiplication forces the church to continue to embrace (good) risk, develop leaders and embrace necessary cultural change
The Vaughan Site Pastor is the key point person for the Vaughan congregation as Upper Room moves towards a multisite ministry model. This person provides leadership for the Vaughan congregation, ensuring Upper Room’s vision, values and
ministry model set by the elders and lead pastor are lived out in this community, contextualizing direction, ministries and plans to the context of this congregation and city. This role is primarily one of environmental leadership: rather than leading through
preaching, they cultivate an environment conducive to Upper Room’s direction and empower other leaders to lead. The Site Pastor has overall responsibility for the operations of Upper Room Vaughan.
The responsibilities as Vaughan Site Pastor comprise 70% of a full-time role. The remaining 30% of the successful candidate’s time will be allocated to other ministry needs within Upper Room that align with the candidate’s skills, gifts and interests. This
role allocation will be discussed prior to a potential job offer.
- This role leads the local leadership team, made up of site pastor and key ministry leads (e.g. WE, Ignite, Home Group, Care, Worship). The site pastor leads them to provide tactical and operational oversight of the congregation. This involves together planning for weekly services and ministries, coaching each member of the team and assessing overall church health.
- The Vaughan Site Pastor is the key vision and values holder for the congregation in Vaughan, both communicating our identity and contextualizing Upper Room’s direction for this community.
- The incumbent will take a collaborative approach to leadership of the congregation, working closely with the Lead Pastor, other Site Pastors, the Central Services team and the local leadership team to ensure a consistently communicated vision and culture for the congregation.
- In connection with the Central Executive Team, the Vaughan Site Pastor develops an annual congregational plan and budget.
Sunday Service & Guest Experience
- The Vaughan Site Pastor plays a key role in the weekend service(s) in Vaughan, ensuring each team is equipped in
- They work with the Teaching Team to develop a weekly service liturgy incorporating key common elements and appropriate local elements. This includes leading baby dedications, baptisms, pastoral prayers and communion.
- The incumbent in this role hosts the service, welcoming the congregation, communicating announcements and greeting newcomers.
- They also lead next steps for newcomers, including following up after the service and organizing next step gatherings such as the Place2Be lunches, URCC 101 and memberships.
Volunteer and Leader Development
- Recognizing the critical role volunteer engagement and leader development play in the spiritual growth of the congregation, the Vaughan Site Pastor be a catalyst for this area in the congregation.
- The incumbent works with the ministry leads of the congregation to identify volunteer opportunities, recruit and onboard volunteers.
- As a first point of connection for newcomers, they suggest opportunities for involvement that match individuals interests, strengths and gifts.
- The Vaughan Site Pastor works with Care Team Lead to ensure the provision of pastoral care for the congregation.
- They play an important role in connecting those in need with appropriate resources, as well as providing direct pastoral care as a part of the team.
- The incumbent is involved in the pre-marital process, marriages and funerals, depending on experience and capacity.
Local Missions & Ministry Leadership
- The Vaughan Site Pastor provides leadership to local missions and ministry initiatives. They identify opportunities for missional engagement and mobilize the congregation to respond accordingly.
- They support leaders of local missional initiatives, including Alpha, YorkU, Human Trafficking, etc.
- They also support leaders of local ministries including Women’s Ministry, Men’s Ministry,Young Adults, and Prayer Ministry.
Central Executive Team
- Being a critical member of the leadership team, the Vaughan Site Pastor participates in the Central Executive Team, which involved participating in decision-making, Upper Room staff meetings, etc.
- They work with Lead Pastor and Central Executive team on the strategic planning and budgeting for all Upper Room congregations.
- Spiritually & emotionally mature, with a healthy rhythm and practice of self-care (spiritually, physically, emotionally, mentally).
- Clear sense of calling by God to be a servant in His Church and see it be a transformational presence in the community, with a particular commitment to the Mission, Vision and Values of Upper Room Community Church.
- Christ-centred, spirit-empowered and mission-focused.
- 5+ years’ experience in leading at a local church/ministry level.
- Bible College/Seminary education is an asset.
- Licensed with the CMA in Canada (can be accomplished prior to hiring).
Strengths/Qualities that would be great asset in this role:
- Able to be flexible and adaptable, remaining resilient in the midst of difficulties.
- Effective at building collaborative relationships, connecting effectively with diverse groups of individuals.
- Skilled at leading leaders, inviting engagement in church vision and strategy that motivates people to action, building teams effectively and helping individuals identify opportunities to serve that fit their skills and gifts.
- Results-oriented: able to direct and delegate in order to get work done.
- Pastorally minded: loves and cares for all God’s people in the midst of their brokenness and able to engage them with both grace and truth.
- Strong understanding of congregational needs: understand the life of a congregation and elements of a Sunday service, able to identify needs/gaps and develop effective responses.
Posted Under: Pastoral
Career ID: [ 6482 ]