Shelter Support Worker Night
Shelter Support Worker Night
The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services - food, clothing and housing, and support services – education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta and British Columbia.
Shelter Support Worker works closely with Mustard Seed guests by encouraging them in their journey and connecting them with programs and services so that they can have a positive coordinated exit from the shelter. Support staff are on the front line and respond to guest needs on an ongoing basis. Support staff also work alongside our many volunteers and ensures that they are supported, trained, and cared for. Crisis intervention and conflict resolution are daily occurrences for this role.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- The first point of contact for guests seeking shelter, food and clothing.
- Support the dignity of our guests by seeking to identify their needs in a respectful manner.
- Encourage and assist guests to seek resources and services that support guests in achieving their goals
- Be a supportive and proactive team-mate to fellow support staff
- Provide person centered support and care to guests in a flexible way which meets their needs
- Use initiative to assess situations and make appropriate decisions to support guests
- Cook breakfast daily with shelter guests
- Be comfortable having spiritual conversations with guests
- Provide crisis intervention as required
- Attend meetings and training as assigned
- Without direct supervision, be responsible for maintaining accurate records as required by the organization’s Policies & Procedures
- Use initiative to ensure that all emergency systems are fully operational and to respond to any emergencies
- Respect proper boundaries with guests
- Support and work alongside volunteers
- Support the ministry within the Mustard Seed Community and act as a positive ambassador
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum 1-year experience in a social serving agency and/or counselling experience
- Ministry background considered a strong asset
- Education in Social Work; Psychology; Counselling and related fields considered a strong asset
- Strong people and communication skills.
- Knowledge of mental illness and addictions.
- Customer service experience.
- A self-starter with the ability to work in a cross-functional team.
- Desire to serve.
- Strong desire to work with a marginalized population.
- Experience working with volunteers.
- This is a rotational 4 days on, 4 days off full time schedule with 12 hour shifts from 8 pm to 8 am
- The working environment for this position requires moderate amounts of walking, climbing, standing, sitting, lifting, carrying, and daily interactions with colleagues and guests.
- This position is often fast-paced, and requires moderate amount of mental effort to analyze information and problem solve.
- This position requires the training and usage of two-way radio communications; MS Office based computer programming, as well as the HMIS database system.
- Employment Security Check is required
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Start date: once a suitable candidate is found
Apply online using our Position Application Form on our Careers page. (https://themustardseedhr.wufoo.eu/forms/position-application-form/)
The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, and flex days. The Mustard Seed embraces the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 6587 ]