Toronto, Ontario , M5J 1W9
St. Andrew’s Church is a dynamic, historic and active congregation of the Presbyterian Church in Canada. Our congregation is drawn from across the city and represents the diversity of Toronto. Presbyterianism at St. Andrew's crosses cultural, educational and social boundaries. We are united by a common commitment to worship and to community service. Our mission statement is that “The people of St. Andrew’s are called by God to serve in faith, hope and love in the heart of Toronto.”
Our church is in downtown Toronto and we are inviting applications for the position of Church Manager. This position is an integral member of staff who works closely with the Board of Managers and the Session. If you have a passion for community service and you want to make a difference in the community, this position is for you!
The Church Manager reports to the Board of Managers as the operational representative of the Board of Managersand the Session and supports the work of the congregation by directing all operations and administration functions. This role liaises with the Ministers in matters of programs and provides support to them, Church committees, volunteers and elected officials. The Church Manager is expected to be at the Church during normal business hours. However, hours are flexible as the Manager may also need to be present at other functions in the evenings and on weekends. The Manager is on call for emergency situations.
Key Areas of Accountability
- Management oversightof Church property and operations.
- Oversight of upkeep, purchase and repair of all church property ensuring the integrity, safety, accessibility and security of all equipment, buildings and surrounding grounds;
- Oversight of all cleaning and maintenance of buildings and grounds including mechanical inspections, elevator maintenance, window cleaning, pest control, water treatment,beautification of church grounds, snow removal etc;
- Responsible for purchasing of all office furniture, equipment, computers/peripherals and software and negotiating all leasing of office equipment
- Oversight of Accounting & Finance
- Oversight of all accounting functions including payroll, benefits, accounts payable and ensuring that procedures are in place for the appropriate reporting to the Treasurer and the Board of Managers.
- Primary liaison with auditors, banks, investment manager,various levels of government and outsourced accounting function;
- Ensures that donation records are tracked, and eligible tax rebate submissions are filed;
- Prepares annual Statistical Report on Finances and Expenditures for submission to The Presbyterian Church in Canada and provides other financial reports as requested;
- Assistance to volunteers in establishing a planned giving program
- Marketing and Short-Term Rentals
- Ensures the provision of marketing and communications support to the Session’s Ministries and committees;
- Ensures that there is a current, effective and well managed social media program;
- Markets short-term rentals with appropriate organizations, negotiating terms and responsible for supervising, resolving concerns/complaints and ensuring legal and accounting records are maintained appropriately;
- Oversight of Property management firm who is responsible for marketing and securing long term rentals with appropriate organizations, allocating space, negotiating contracts and rental agreements and responsible for supervising renters, resolving concerns/complaints and ensuring legal and accounting records are maintained appropriately.
- Human Resources Management
- Responsible for the hiring, supervision and evaluation of all Administrative, Maintenance and Custodial staff;
- Develops and revises staff position descriptions and annual salary recommendations for direct reports;
- Conducts annual performance appraisals including the setting of and review of annual goals for the permanent administrative,maintenance andcustodial staff;
- Ensures human resources policies and procedures are upheld and adhered to;
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications (Education, Training, Experience)
What do you bring to the table?
- Excellent communication, financeand administration skills;
- At least 5+ years working in facilities or property management and operations;
- Team Leader with proven supervisory experience;
- Adept at building relationships with varying levels of internal stakeholders and the public;
- Must be able to work independently and work flexible hours;
- Previous experience working within a Church is considered an asset;
Skills and Education
- University or equivalent post secondary degree, proficiency in digital and computer applications and social media
Closing Date for Applications: April 30, 2019
Please send your resume and a cover letter expressing why you are interested in applying for this role to John Matheson, Chair, Board of Managers, firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Andrew's Church strives to establish and maintain an inclusive workplace and believes that the diversity of our workforce is an invaluable asset. We are committed to following recruitment and selection practices based on merit, transparency, accessibility and inclusion ensuring that all candidates are given a fair opportunity for employment with us.
We are committed to working with all candidates that require an accommodation. If you require an accommodation, please let us know what accommodation you require and we will work with you to meet your needs at every stage of the recruitment and selection process.
Please note that the successful candidate will be required to obtain a Vulnerable Sector police reference check.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for St.Andrew's Church, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Posted Under: Management
Career ID: [ 6636 ]