President & Vice Chancellor
President & Vice Chancellor
Toronto, Ontario , M2M 3S4
Tyndale University College & Seminary is located in Toronto, the provincial capital of Ontario and the most populous city in Canada. It is a centre of business, finance, arts, and culture, and is recognized as one of the most multicultural and cosmopolitan cities in the world.
Tyndale is a private Christian university and graduate seminary with a 125-year history and 12,000 alumni worldwide. The current community represents 60 ethnic backgrounds and 40 different denominations. Students are inspired to think analytically, serve faithfully and live passionately.
Tyndale is critical and strategic:
- It is the second largest Christian institution of higher education in Canada with a headcount of over 2000 students in both degree and non-degree programs.
- The Open Learning Centre houses four dynamic centres including Spiritual Formation, Family Life, Leadership and Tyndale Intercultural Ministries.
Tyndale is committed to equip women and men to serve Christ in both the church and the marketplace and across a broad spectrum of vocational possibilities. Tyndale seeks to graduate followers of Christ who will provide leadership that effects positive change and growth in Canada and around the world.
Tyndale is in a remarkable time of both strategic need and tremendous opportunity. The possibilities have been heightened by the move to its new campus on Bayview Avenue in 2015. The school’s necessity to be nimble, to adjust, and to re-envision the future has created a unique position for the next President and Vice Chancellor of Tyndale University College & Seminary.
Building sustainable foundations for the future by:
- Maintaining Tyndale’s Christian identity and mission in a post-Christian Canadian society.
- Developing unique strategic directions that differentiate Tyndale.
- Shaping Tyndale’s identity as both a university and seminary and growing the development centres and non-degree programs.
- Initiating strategic direction in the most competitive higher education market in the country.
- Managing fiscal health with an aim towards long-term sustainability.
The President and Vice Chancellor of Tyndale University College & Seminary, appointed by and accountable to the Board of Governors, serves as chief executive officer and provides overall leadership to the institution.
The President will focus his/her efforts on the following:
- Prepare Tyndale for a sustainable future.
- Enhance educational uniqueness.
- Expand the mission through distributed learning.
- Nurture Christian values and practices that witness to the wider community.
- Develop strong constituency connections.
The current matrix of senior leaders who report to the President include:
- Senior Vice President Academic & Dean of the University College.
- Senior Vice President Academic & Dean of the Seminary.
- Senior Vice President, Administrative & Support Services.
- Senior Vice President, External Relations & Enrollment Management.
- Director of Corporate Affairs & Board Governance.
Qualities and Attributes of the President
The President will possess:
- A deep passion for the integration of Christian faith with academics and the marketplace.
- A proven record of academic and Christian leadership.
- A commitment to excellence in teaching and academic research.
Commitment to Faith
Tyndale is a Christian institution, born and nurtured in the historic evangelical community. The President will possess and demonstrate a deep love for the Gospel, a vital relationship with our Lord Jesus Christ and an ability to express the discipline and witness of the Gospel in all aspects of life. The President will also be skilled in representing the doctrinal statement of Tyndale to a variety of groups and individuals.
The President’s life and witness must be exemplary, modelling a life that the Tyndale community wishes to see in its graduates. This includes being a person of integrity and humility who demonstrates respect for others and gives evidence of a calling from God for ministry and public service.
The President will provide leadership to the institution in the following ways:
- Be strategic in developing plans to realize Tyndale’s vision.
- Be passionate about and effective in ensuring strategies that result in continued growth and development of the University, the Seminary and the Open Learning Centre.
- Bring energy to the Cabinet, the Board of Governors and the donor community to fulfill Tyndale’s vision.
- Understand the complexities of an institution comprising two schools – an undergraduate university and a graduate theological school – and possess the capacity to address competing demands and expectations.
- Demonstrate exceptional skill in fostering mutual respect and trust and in building a management team that functions cooperatively and collegially.
- Be adept in understanding financial reports, be able to guide priorities in accordance with the institution’s mission and goals, and possess the fiscal discipline necessary to keep the institution on strong financial basis.
- Be capable of both recruiting and retaining vital persons in key leadership roles.
Commitment to Education: Scholarship, Teaching, Mentoring
It is vital that the President of Tyndale:
- Be committed to the creation of an environment of scholarship. (An earned doctoral degree and demonstrated scholarship is desirable.)
- Be compelled by the task of shaping an educational community of academic excellence that encourages the development of men and women academically, to live authentically, follow Christ and actively engage their culture.
- Have a broad understanding of the role of universities in the Canadian context.
- The vision articulated by the Seminary to prepare people to live from the core of a vibrant Christian faith in a postmodern, pluralistic and multicultural society.
- The work of the University College to provide high quality academics that are interwoven with faith.
- The growth of the Open Learning Centre to provide spiritual, personal and professional development for today’s challenges.
- Tyndale, as a Christian institution, needs a President whose public and interpersonal communication skills will encourage students to enroll, generate passion among its faculty and staff and create trust and enthusiasm within its supporting community.
- The President will influence the wider Christian community and the secular world, articulating the rationale for Christian higher education, building alliances and generating networks that enable Tyndale to grow.
- The President will represent and promote Tyndale on a national and international level to the academic community, to various branches of government, as well as to the public and private sectors.
Tyndale’s President must be committed to, capable of and passionate about ensuring growth as well as building financial resources and developing relationships with donors. Building and maintaining these relationships is a vital component of the work of the President.
Applications & Nominations
Applications and nominations will be accepted until June 30, 2019. Interested persons are encouraged to submit materials to the address below. Applications should include a letter of application and a current CV. All communication will be held in strict confidence.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, this advertisement is directed primarily, but not solely, to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
Nominations and letters of interest with a CV may be sent to:
Director of Corporate Affairs & Board Governance
3377 Bayview Avenue
Posted Under: Executive
Career ID: [ 6644 ]