Ottawa, Ontario , K2A3G9
To be and make disciples of Jesus Christ.
In five years (In 2024) we are a unified church of 500, on mission in the city, known for our contribution, equipping families and multiplying disciples.
Position: Youth Pastor with a focus on worship ministry (fulltime)
Responsible to: Session (Board of Elders) through the Lead Pastor
Team Ministry: the pastoral ministry staff will work together as a team ensure St. Paul’s ministry will be well integrated to avoid ministry “silos”.
Main Ministry Goal: The Youth Pastor will seek to journey with the young people (grades 6-12) of the congregation and the community with the additional focus of leading worship at our contemporary service all in keeping with our Mission, “to be and to make disciples in Jesus Christ”.
General Work Summary: While carrying out the vision and beliefs of St. Paul’s Presbyterian Church, the Youth Pastor is primarily responsible for creating, promoting and coordinating ministries that engage young people within the congregation and the community through a variety of programs done with excellence.
Functional Areas of Ministry
- Mentoring (both personal mentoring and empowering others to mentor young people)
- Weekly Programs
- Leading Worship
- Parents/Families of Young People
- Community Programs
- Administrative Duties
(see next section for further details)
Roles, Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Be responsible for partnering with others for the spiritual, social and mental development, and well-being of young people connected to the youth ministry by providing pastoral care, programs, activities, individual and family support and by referring to professional counselors when necessary.
- Be responsible for coordinating, recruiting, training and holding accountable a team of mentors to be engaged in the role of discipleship within the youth ministry.
Weekly Evening and Sunday Morning Programs
- Teach biblically based messages and facilitate discussion, community, engagement and fun at the weekly evening and Sunday morning programs.
- Provide leadership, direction, training, and oversight in all areas of the ministry.
- Gather feedback through both formal and informal communications with people invested in the ministry (such as young people, parents and adult mentors) regarding the impact/effectiveness, development and direction of the program.
- Keep current with best practices and resources that support Youth Ministries as well as with the trends and issues relevant to young people through participation in ongoing professional and spiritual development.
- Lead/create vision, culture and direction of contemporary worship.
- Help in the creation of multiple worship teams.
- Lead worship regularly and support worship teams you are not leading through prayer, direction and administration or through musical support.
- Work with Lead Pastor to create a cohesive service with intentional plotline and purpose.
Parents/Families of Young People
- Be responsible for creating a family friendly youth ministry that partners with families in the development and growth of their children. This would involve but not be limited to: home visitation, communication and prayer ministry.
- Develop new programs and missional opportunities to reach out to and engage the youth of the congregation and the community.
- Work with the Lead Pastor, staff and Session (Elders) to consider other ways we can effectively live out our vision.
- Attend Weekly staff meetings
- Meet weekly with and report to Lead Pastor who will provide oversight, guidance, mentoring and prayer
- Communicate with the office administrator regarding special requests (i.e. space bookings, website pages, printing etc).
- Manage Youth Database (which would include all relevant information regarding youth who attend the youth programs).
- Prepare annual budget & submit to Finance Team for review.
- Track and submit expenses in a timely manner.
- Track weekly hours and general category of associated tasks.
Gifts and Skills Set:
- Degree in Youth Ministry, Theology or Biblical Studies.
- Gift of teaching and leadership.
- Gift of administration, time management and organizational skills.
- Experience in leading youth ministry.
- Experience in leading worship in a team setting.
- Ability to connect with young people on relational and spiritual levels.
- As part of a team, assist in discovering and identifying the spiritual gift of others, and encouraging the application of those gifts in the service of Christ in the ministry of the church.
- Skills to engage and disciple young people to actively participate in the church’s mission and vision.
- Passion for ministry that emerges from a strong transformational faith in Jesus Christ, and a commitment to the community of faith, expressed through a calling to initiate and oversee meaningful ministries
Leading with Care
In accordance with the Leading with Care policy of The Presbyterian Church in Canada, the Family Pastor will ensure that all appropriate forms are completed and a current Police Records Check is on file.
Support, Supervision and Evaluation
- Meet with the Lead Pastor weekly.
- Meet with the Staff Relations Committee twice a year.
- Regular review (at least quarterly) of goals with the Lead Pastor.
Please send applications to Grant Wilson at:
971 Woodroffe Ave
Ottawa, ON K2A 3G9
Posted Under: Pastoral - Youth/Youth Worker
Career ID: [ 6687 ]