Part Time Children's Director
Part Time Children's Director
Ottawa, Ontario , K4A4J3
Organization: Redeemer Alliance Church
Duration:1 year contract with potential for renewal.
Location: Ottawa, ON (in the suburb of Orleans)
Redeemer Alliance Church (RAC) is creating a brand new Children’s Director position!
We are searching for a person who agrees with our Vision, Mission and Values (“Who We Are”) of RAC and is able to commit part time to lead our Sunday morning Children’s Ministries (infant to Grade 6).
As a church we are actively seeking to further the Kingdom of God in our community, Orleans, which is a suburb of the city of Ottawa. We believe that God is at work in us right now to help bring about revival in our surrounding community and that we are on the cusp of experiencing a powerful movement of God’s Spirit!
We are engaged with our community in a number of ways such as providing a week long kids camp in the summer (this year it will run July 29th- August 2nd), as well as a massive historic recreation of the first Christmas which we call “Step into Christmas”. We also put on “The Big Give” every year to show the generosity of Christ to our community.
Our Children’s Ministry on Sunday morning takes place during the service and is growing! We have on average 6 kids in our nursery and 25 in our kids church.
Here at RAC we have an average Sunday attendance of about 180 people.
The candidate we are looking for is someone who is passionate about living for Christ and who desires to see children do the same. In this regard, the candidate should be a person who loves people, is prayerful for the furtherance of God’s Kingdom, is approachable and compassionate, as well as being professional.
The candidate will work as a member of a pastoral team, consisting of the Lead Pastor, Pastor of Youth & Young Adults, Worship Director and Church Administrator.
Thank you for your prayerful consideration of this position.
Areas of Responsibility:
- To work closely with the Lead Pastor, assisting in ministry to the church congregation, especially as it concerns the facilitation and leadership of our Sunday Morning Children’s Ministries (Nursery – Grade 6) which are in alignment with the Vision, Mission and Values (“Who We Are”) of RAC.
- Select and prepare the curriculum for our Sunday Morning Children’s Ministry i.e. our Nursery & Sunday school classes.
- Oversee the recruitment and scheduling of volunteers for our Sunday Morning Children’s Ministry i.e. our Nursery & Sunday school classes.
- Lead application of the Plan-To-Protect policy to the Children’s programs at RAC, including recommendations for changes as necessary.
Position Reports to:
Lead Pastor: Rev. Greg Baker
Essential Job Functions & Approximate Time Required per Week:
- Be present on a Sunday morning (3 Hours/Week):
- Ensure rooms are ready. Duties include but are not limited to: chairs set up for worship, tables and chairs for small groups are clean, audio/visual support is up and running, materials are prepared and ready for use.
- Welcome parents and kids, assist with check in.
- Monitor the small and large groups being held.
- Plan for spare leaders or fill in if a leader calls in sick at the last minute.
- Clean up all areas used by Children’s Ministry that morning.
- Weekly Nursery Duties (2 Hours/Week):
- Ensure the nursery provides a secure, clean and nurturing environment which reflects Christ's love
- Develop, plan, implement and review nursery policies
- Recruit, train, coordinate and schedule nursery volunteers
- Oversee the maintenance, cleanliness, aesthetics, security and safety of nursery equipment and supplies
- Oversee sign-in process and ensure that all children are properly checked in and out and that Plan to Protect procedures are followed by volunteers
- Serve as a point of welcome, contact and communication for parents with nursery age children.
- Oversee the parent room (cleanliness, stocking of supplies etc.)
- Seek creative and meaningful ways to provide the best nursery experience possible so that parents can feel confident their children will receive the highest quality of care and ministry.
- Weekly Kids Church Duties (2 Hours/Week):
- Prepare large group presentation and material:
- Selecting curriculum material for the program each week.
- Choose music for large group worship time each week.
- Material presentation services (Power Point, Proclaim, etc as appropriate) set up each week.
- Print required materials (posters, verses, big picture questions).
- Prepare small group materials:
- Assist with preparations of small group materials as requested by the small group leaders.
- Photocopy as needed.
- Procure small group materials as needed.
- Administration (1 Hour/Week):
- Set up and maintain the Planning Center software including scheduling and emailing volunteers, uploading materials to planning center, etc.
- Ensure the supplies are kept stocked; shelves in classrooms and storage rooms are organized and tidy.
- Ensure the general tidiness and organization of classroom areas, coordinate use of classrooms with other ministries within the church.
- Communication with parents as required through regular emails, bulletin boards, meetings.
- Engage with new families.
- Organize and plan regular meetings with volunteers.
- Volunteers (1 Hour/Week):
- Recruit volunteers.
- Continually encourage and support volunteers.
- Pray for the program and the children that are hearing God's Word (1 Hour/Week)
- Summer Camp (2 Hours/Week on average):
- 80 hours planning + 25 hours of camp in the summer = 105 hours approximately, equating to roughly 2 hours per week.
- Take the lead in directing Summer Camp.
- Establish a planning committee.
- Recruit volunteers.
- Distribute and monitor tasks required for preparation for Summer Camp.
- Lead volunteers in planning, preparation and running of Summer Camp.
- Conduct and capture lessons learned from Summer Camp with the aim of applying improvements to successive years.
- Attend weekly staff meeting (2 Hours/Week on average)
Qualifications for the position:
- Loves God and exhibits the fruit of the Holy Spirit in their life.
- Agrees with RAC statement of faith.
- Agrees with C&MA Call to Excellence and Code of Ethics for Official Workers of the C&MA in Canada (Manual of The C&MA in Canada 2019).
- Agrees with the Vision, Mission & Values (“Who We Are”) of RAC.
- Willing to become a member of RAC, if not already.
- Loves kids and has a desire to teach them about God.
- Is experienced in teaching and/or children’s ministry
- Can lead well a group of volunteers and is able to delegate.
- Works well with a staff team.
- Is personable, being able to connect well with people of all ages and backgrounds.
- Has a positive attitude and is professional
- Is humble and approachable
- Open to embrace and lead change
- Able to set and follow through on goals
- Able to administrate and delegate
- Is creative
- Is focused on furthering the Kingdom of God
Hours of Employment:
This position is for 14 hours per week including Sunday morning participation.
Required Education and Experience:
Has experience working with kids and leading children’s ministry in either a church or para-church capacity.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
Generally there is no over exertion required. The position may entail physical activity with the kids on a Sunday morning and during our Summer Kids Camp.
The rate of pay is to be determined as per the offer letter and RAC policies and procedures. The nature of the pay will be hourly and will not include benefits.
An annual evaluation will take place near the end of the program year (May/June). The evaluation will be performed by the Lead Pastor.
Ongoing and “time to time” evaluations may be initiated by either party to make mid course corrections, restructure, evaluate effectiveness, etc, with the aim to ensure that the employee is operating within their giftedness and calling towards accomplishing the priorities set out in this document in the most effective and God honouring fashion.
Commencement and Termination of Position:
This position will commence as soon as possible according to the candidates time frame. It is a 1 year contract with potential for renewal.
Posted Under: Pastoral - Children's Ministries
Career ID: [ 6748 ]