Summer Team Drop in Worker
Summer Team Drop in Worker
Toronto, Ontario , M5A 2G7
Yonge Street Mission (YSM) is the vibrant, local Christian development agency that is leading an infectious movement - going beyond meeting immediate needs by offering holistic programs and a pathway that can transform the lives of people living with poverty in Toronto from merely surviving to thriving. This role is a 30 hours/week summer program position (contract). The Drop-in Worker will work with street involved youth (youth are ages 16-24 yrs) in a dynamic drop in setting, small groups and one on ones; supporting, advocating and encouraging them as they make choices to move to healthier lifestyles. The Youth Drop-in Worker will assist in referring youth to services related to housing, health care and employment and facilitating programs to help develop their potential. If you enjoy engaging with a wide variety of at-risk youth, and desire to make a significant impact on this vibrant, diverse community, this is your opportunity.
- Working alongside permanent staff and supporting them in their role.
- The successful candidate will be responsible for: Building meaningful relationships with the at-risk youth who access Evergreen services and challenging them to seek their full potential.
- Advocating for- and with youth, accompaniment visits to court, jail, hospitals and other community visits.
- Assist program facilitators in the various services and activities that are available.
- Assisting in carrying out the day to day operations and tasks within the drop-in and referring youth to appropriate services.
- The successful candidate will have the following skills and training:
- Post-secondary education in the social service field is an asset
- Drop-in, service/program delivery experience with youth, including street involved youth, and the socially isolated is preferred
- A biblical understanding of the unique aspects of ministry among the poor and youth at risk
- Demonstrate a particular interest in working with at risk youth
- Ability to engage in conversation with a wide variety of personality types
- Enthusiasm for creative, transformative community programs
- Ability to work as a team with staff, student interns and volunteers
- Effective English written and oral communication skills and computer literacy; other language skills an asset
- Multicultural and multi-faith sensitivity
- Good interpersonal skills; conflict resolution skills; a self-starter
- A police check will be required / First aid training is an asset
- Demonstrated commitment to YSM’s principles of faith, mission and values
Deadline for Application: June 5, 2019
Starting Date: July 8, 2019
While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Learn more about YSM at www.ysm.ca
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 6832 ]