Youth and Family Development Worker
Youth and Family Development Worker
Peterborough, Ontario , K9H 2S7
Ministry with youth and young families is meant to call, equip and send young people to be fully engaged participants in God’s mission in the world as disciples of Jesus Christ and as members of Christ’s body. Effective youth and young family ministry is a congregational effort which includes many branches of the church body, including the congregation at large, families of youth and young adults, Christian Education workers, sponsors, mentors, pastors and peers, as well as the church beyond our local congregation.
The Youth & Family Development Worker provides leadership to this effort at MSBC. This will include developing new youth programs (ideally for Grades 6-8 and Grades 9-12) and overseeing and developing, in partnership with the Senior Pastor and the Missions and Outreach Committee, a strategy for reaching out to families across the city.
With delegation as a key and important component in the successful leadership of this proposed ministry, the YFD Worker is expected to communicate regularly and effectively with internal and external stakeholders and ministry partners.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Visioning: Take ownership of MSBC’s YFD ministry by working together with volunteers and other staff in setting the ministry’s overall vision, mission and direction and by leading a group of volunteers towards the achievement of the vision. This includes serving as a resource and staff liaison to the young adults group.
- Discipling: Shape a congregational ministry where youth/young adults grow and deepen their relationship with God, by considering spaces for teaching, service and retreating; and increasing involvement with the congregation and the wider church. As a primary contact in the church for youth and young adults, help them integrate into the life of the church, and help the church learn to embrace their involvement.
- Coaching & Mentoring: Provide leadership, co-ordination and support to volunteers who will participate in teaching and walking with youth/young adults. As coach and mentor, provide opportunities for leadership training and development for volunteers and youth/young adults.
- Investing: Invest in the youth and families by building relationships with them. This includes attending and participating in the majority of church and YFD events. Inform senior pastor of needed pastoral care among target groups.
- Participate in staff and ministerial meetings.
- Be active in worship gatherings of MSBC.
- Oversee the process of Abuse and Police Registry checks required of all volunteers who work with youth.
Education & Experience
- College, university or seminary training in Bible, church planting and/or youth ministry.
- Leadership skills and experience in youth ministry, either in a staff or volunteer capacity.
- Experience in successfully providing leadership to large volunteer groups.
- Highly organized and with a demonstrated ability to establish priorities, plan, communicate, and execute/implement. Strong time management and organizational skills and abilities.
- The ability to recognize the need for sound pastoral care to young adults, and families.
- Strong communication skills (verbal, written, presentation).
- Exhibit a Christ-like spirit and a passion for God. These qualities will be evidenced in the YFD Worker’s personal life, relationships and ministry. The Worker will nurture his/her inner self through a disciplined life of daily fellowship with God in prayer and Bible study.
- A deep, personal faith in Jesus Christ and sound knowledge of Biblical truths and doctrine.
- A mature Christian character.
- A commitment to a Baptist expression of faith (as outlined in “This We Believe”).
- A gift in connecting, and establishing meaningful relationships, with youth (particularly senior youth) and young adults. A passion for youth and young families.
- Models a love for the church and its ongoing success.
- An openness to working with youth in the surrounding community.
- Creative; collaborative; engaging; a team builder; high energy.
- Flexible, friendly, approachable and honest. Deals with conflict directly, openly, honestly and graciously.
Reporting & Accountability
- Reports directly to the Senior Minister. Is also accountable to the congregation through the Missions and Outreach Committee and the Church Council.
- The YFD Worker is subject to reference checks, a police record check, and an Abuse Registry check.
Other Position Details
- Specific contract negotiations and performance review processes are managed by the Staff Relations Committee.
- Since much of YFD Work happens in the evening it is expected that this position would involve working up to 3 evenings in some weeks.
- Specific hours to be determined at time of hiring.
Salary: To be discussed with applicant during interview process
Closing Date to apply: Friday, June 17, 2019
Contact: Barrie Burhoe, chair of Missions and Outreach Committee
- 175 Murray Street Peterborough, Ont. K9H 2S7
Posted Under: Pastoral - Youth/Youth Worker
Career ID: [ 6853 ]