Director of Marketing & Communications: The Director is passionate about marketing & communications and higher education. They understand and are skilled in print, radio and online promotion strategies, including social media platforms. They are able to lead a team towards objectives while actively participating in the implementation of executables.
Donor Relations Director – Western Canada
Donor Relations Director – Western Canada
Markham, Ontario , L3R0E7
We're following Jesus where the need is greatest, working through local churches across the Global South to unlock people's potential and helping them to discover that the answer to poverty is within themselves. When disasters strike, we respond quickly. We won't stop until poverty stops.
For almost 50 years, thousands of Canadians and churches have chosen Tearfund Canada to see hope restored, and empowerment offered to impoverished communities.
Tearfund Canada is going through a growth phase and looking to expand its reach and impact. The chosen candidate for this role will have a vital role in that growth, working alongside an Executive Director and Church Relations Director both active fundraisers.
Available: Immediately. The position will remain open until the right candidate is found.
Who should apply?
Tearfund Canada is intent on finding the right person and will consider a broad range of applicants.
Key fundraising skills and relevant experience are important, but so is the ability to play a significant role in a small, energetic, close-working team. Temperament, fit with the team, and enthusiasm are vital, as is the potential to become highly committed to helping transform the lives of people battling hunger, injustice and poverty.
Since this person will be the face of Tearfund Canada to Major donors, Pastors and Churches in Western Canada, the ability to own and represent the mission and vision is paramount.
A vibrant faith walk with God will be evident, as there will be regular interface with Church leaders and parishioners. This person will be comfortable making church presentations.
The ideal candidate will already be an experienced fundraiser with a passion for international relief and development and who can fit well with our people and constituents.
Tearfund Canada will consider candidates whose needed skills and experience may differ from the ideal. Such candidates must have relevant skills, as well as the drive to succeed. She or he can take responsibility and initiative, can ask others for a decision, and would find it satisfying and motivating to collaborate with a team making a difference for some of the poorest people in the world.
- Title: Donor Relations Director – Western Canada
- Reporting: This position reports to the Executive Director
- Position Type: Full-time, flexible hours, some evenings and weekends required
- Pay: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Benefits: Comprehensive benefits plan and matching RSP
- Environment: This position will work from a home office
- Travel requirements: Approximately 50 days away from home annually
To represent Tearfund in Western Canada and secure funds for the organization. Through engaging with donors and churches, the candidate will communicate needs and opportunities across the Global South, encourage financial commitment and retain them as continuing donors to Tearfund. As their donations are well stewarded, they will be upgraded in their giving and involvement.
Although difficult to measure, the quality of relationship with major donors and churches, their sense of accomplishment, and their treatment as genuine partners are important factors in the success of this position.
You will be responsible to:
- Lead middle/major individual, and Church fundraising for Western Canada, ensuring donors are retained and upgraded in their giving
- Significantly grow revenue from middle ($1,000-4,999) and major donors ($5,000+)
- Grow revenue from Churches
Key Performance Areas:
- Middle / Major Gifts (40%)
- Ensure active pipeline of donors by working closely with other Development team members to identify prospects from daily/weekly gift reports; using criteria to mine the database to uncover prospects; reviewing donor lists from peer organizations; and using other strategies and resources to identify potential donors.
- With the Marketing and Development team, develop revenue goals, tracking progress to ensure targets are met, and re-examining strategies to achieve goals.
- Build and execute a communication and ask plan for:
- Major donors; including face-to-face meetings, direct gift solicitations and submitting customized proposals, taking into account interests, motivations, giving patterns and ask preferences.
- Middle donors; including phone calls, email, and proposal submission, taking into account interests, motivations, and giving patterns
- Manage donor stewardship, ensuring experiences that foster long-term engagement. Develop methods to convey the impact of gifts and ensure donors are kept up to date on Tearfund. Set and meet goals for a number of touch points annually.
- Solicit tribute and planned gifts as per donor interests/wishes
- Work with the Executive Director to enlist the participation of board members in identifying, cultivating and soliciting prospects.
- Church Fundraising: (40%)
- Working with the Director of Church Relations, develop engagement plans for 6 denominations and key churches in the region
- Meet with pastors, church and denominational leaders for the purpose of promoting biblical holistic (integral) mission and the work of Tearfund Canada
- Speak in churches, church meetings, church conference events, and other appropriate settings. Effectively communicate the biblical basis for community development and relief work through the local Church of the Global South. Promote the work of Tearfund Canada and our national church partners. As required, represent Tearfund at other events and conferences.
- Engage with church leaders and donors on Discovery Tour experiences to Tearfund’s international program settings as needed.
- Build and execute a communication and ask plan for: each church including face-to-face meetings, direct gift solicitations and submitting customized proposals, taking into account interests, motivations, giving patterns and ask preferences.
- Administration/Other: (20%)
- Maintain records in the donor database (Raiser’s Edge NXT) related to your portfolio.
- Enter contact reports and ensure next steps are scheduled. Enter capacity ratings based on research, prioritize prospects, and assign portfolios as appropriate.
- Create reports that reflect portfolio activity and progress towards achieving goals
- Other duties as required and assigned
- Fully aligned with the vision, mission, and values of Tearfund Canada, including the Statement of Faith and Lifestyle Expectations.
- Willingness to share in times of Scriptural reflection and prayer, a readiness to engage with our faith-based constituency and partners and active membership or participation in a Christian church
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with comfort in making church presentations
- Minimum of 5 years’ successful experience in the non-profit environment
- Comfortable asking for financial support
- Strong technical/computer skills with excellent MS Office or Google Suite skills
- Demonstrated experience with schedule management and organizational systems
- Highly motivated with a positive attitude
- Gifted at prioritizing conflicting needs; handling matters expeditiously and proactively, following through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures
- Professionalism, discretion, confidentiality
To apply: Send a brief cover letter along with your current resume to email@example.com
Note: No application deadline - we will hire once suitable applicant is found.
Please apply by email only, with cover letter and attached resume, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Your cover letter should include a description of:
- An overview of your related education and experience
- How you would integrate your faith with this role
- Your approach to successfully raise funds from major donors and the Church to fulfill Tearfund’s mission.
- Salary Expectations
Tearfund Canada is committed to the protection of children; all offers of employment will be conditional upon the successful completion of reference checks and a Police background check. Qualified candidates must be able to demonstrate a commitment to the core values and Christian mission of Tearfund Canada.
Tearfund Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We thank all applicants for applying, however will only reply to those selected for interviews. No phone calls please.
To learn more about Tearfund Canada, visit Tearfund.ca
Posted Under: Fundraising
Career ID: [ 6902 ]