Director of Marketing & Communications: The Director is passionate about marketing & communications and higher education. They understand and are skilled in print, radio and online promotion strategies, including social media platforms. They are able to lead a team towards objectives while actively participating in the implementation of executables.
Temporary Relief Street Outreach Worker
Temporary Relief Street Outreach Worker
Ottawa, Ontario , K1N 5W5
competition # 21/19
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
- Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
- Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
- Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
Position Purpose Summary:
Participate as a 2-member team providing emergency transportation and supplies as well as intake assessment and triage of homeless individuals to the wider homeless service sector.
- Shared driving responsibility and safe operation of Street Outreach Van during duration of 8- hour shift
- Connect and engages with homeless individuals where they are physically, emotionally and spiritually
- Provide mobile on- site assessments including provision of outreach supplies, referrals and transportation to safe shelter
- Provide intervention services in the event of crisis and contact appropriate authorities when necessary
- Refer clients to other outreach and services as appropriate
- Log and case-note all contacts and notation of service provided in multiple document formats
- Accepts referrals on behalf of the Housing Response Team by completing VI-SPDAT and place clients on a prioritization list for service based on acuity
- Interim case management of those on the prioritization list that score moderate and high acuity until matched with a Housing Based Case Manager
- Assist those who are scoring in the low acuity range to self-resolve their homelessness through linking to resources and life skills building
- Weekly follow up with all clients known to be sleeping outdoors
- Collaboration with community partners to provide services to locate clients and connect clients with appropriate services
- Managing a group schedule to ensure all clients received proper follow up
- Participate in case conferences to update management on the progress of each street living individual
- Ensure that the outreach vehicle is stocked with basic needs supplies prior to conducting outreach activities
- When required outreach may be conducted by one’s self during day light hours with cell phone, backpack, and logbook with regular check-ins
- Must have a valid Class G driver’s license
- Relevant post-secondary education in social services with training in harm reduction, addiction and mental health service or equivalent work experience
- Two years’ experience in direct client service with the homeless, ideally in outreach setting
- Demonstrated ability to de-escalate situations and appropriately interact with intoxicated individuals
- Excellent inter-personal skills
- Must be comfortable working in unconventional environments such as under bridges, un-cleared NCC land etc.
- Excellent oral and written skills in English
- Experience administering Narcan and/or Narcan training a strong asset
- Bilingualism (English and French) is an asset
- With assistance must be able to lift up to 50lbs.
Successful candidate will be required to provide upon hiring:
- A clear vulnerable sector screening
- A clean drivers abstract
- Participate in our online Armatus Abuse Training and Health and Safety training required upon hiring, as well as updated annually
Hours: will vary
Salary: $19.25 per hour
Interestd applicants are asked to contact Employee Relations Department by June 21, 2019
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
Posted Under: Counselling
Career ID: [ 6976 ]