Pastor of Local and Global Mission
Pastor of Local and Global Mission
Toronto, Ontario , M5S 2H4
To provide leadership to the local and global mission/outreach ministries of Knox Church, developing ministry teams responsible to plan, coordinate, and lead these for the purpose of educating, equipping and mobilizing members of Knox Church to love the city and serve the world in outreach ministries of mercy, compassion, justice, and evangelism.
This person is responsible for the local, regional, and global outreach ministries of Knox Presbyterian Church. This person will develop a strategy of local partnership in outreach ministries of compassion, justice, and provide strategic leadership and oversight to International/ESL ministries, Knox Youth Dinner and Foodbank (KYD&FB), Knox Camps ministry, and Knox World Mission.
God is a missionary God and mission is central to the life of the church. We understand the Church to be a sent people. We are a missionary people sent by a missionary God to join him in the renewal of all things. We are a mission-shaped church, following the way of Jesus, announcing and demonstrating the reign of God through Jesus Christ, both locally and globally.
We understand the city of Toronto as a vital focal point of our mission as we participate in God’s plans to renew the world. The call to the city does not mean we neglect any part of the world, but we see a beautifully mutual relationship in mission to our city and the wider world. Knox Church remains passionately committed to the mission of God in our city and across the globe.
We also hold to the conviction that people are the church and releasing people on God’s mission is key to ministry success. We do not want consumers or spectators but engaged members. Therefore, we will develop, train, and equip the people at Knox to join in God’s mission everywhere.
- Provide key leadership to implement the Knox Ministry Partnership strategy in local and global mission
- Develop and mobilize teams and systems that mobilize congregational volunteers and resources for service with external mission partnerships (both local, and global through KWM)
- Cultivate suitable mercy ministry partnerships and regularly evaluate partnership opportunities
- Support/Resource existing Knox Church outreach ministries
- Serve as staff lead on Knox World Mission team, working with KWM to promote and advance God’s global mission in Knox Church
- Oversee the Knox Youth Dinner & Food Bank (KYD&FB) ministry, leading the KYD&FB ministry team
- Provide leadership to the International/ESL Ministries of Knox Church, developing and working with a ministry team
- Provide leadership to the Knox Camps ministry, developing and working with the Camp Ministry team and supervising the Camp Director
- Coordinate our assistance and response to refugees
- Work with the Missions Hub board
- Facilitate the engagement of all congregation/members to service opportunities with ministry partners
- Recruit and place new volunteers, and evaluate volunteer experience with ministry partner organizations
- Regularly interact with and evaluate existing partnerships with ministry partner organizations
- Along with other Pastoral staff, provide community care resourcing (ie. referrals to counselling, OW/ODSP support, etc.
- Along with Pastoral staff, distribute Benevolence funds based on need and according to strategy developed
- Help to educate and equip the congregation to love our neighbours well, identifying needs and matters of justice within our community, city, and country
- Work with Pastoral staff in developing small and large group events to build capacity and understanding within Knox for compassionate and Biblical responses to needs (e.g. Formation Day, Sunday lunch-and-learn sessions, etc.)
- Provide clear communication on web page and social media to encourage Knox Church members to live lives of distinctive Christian mercy and justice
- Spiritual formation prayer
- Will spend regular times in prayer for the needs of those involved in the leadership of the ministries they oversee
- Will attend to their own spiritual formation for the good of those under their care
- Will work to develop and build their spiritual gifts for the good of the congregation
- Maintain a visible presence at worship services and congregational events
- Participate in weekly pastoral staff meetings
- Work collaboratively with other pastoral staff and Elders to pursue the vision, mission and values of Knox Church
- Sets vision, goals, and strategy for all ministry teams under their supervision
- Set, oversee and administer the annual budget for all ministry areas under their oversight
Qualities and Characteristics
- A mature Christian who evidences a close relationship with and commitment to Jesus Christ through prayer and reliance on His Word in all aspects of life, and a passion to serve Him
- Have the servant heart of Jesus Christ - understand and embrace Knox’s theological vision, ministry strategy, and have a gospel-oriented love of Toronto
- A deep commitment to serving the poor and marginalized
- Advanced degree (Master’s level) in social work or related field is desired and preferred; a Bachelor’s degree is required
- Minimum three years of ministry experience in an urban context is preferable
- Minimum three years of outreach or non-profit ministry and leadership experience
- Proven ability to build strong relationships with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Strong leadership skills with a proven ability to solve problems, resolve conflict and coach others
- Administrative skills to provide an innovative approach to projects, manage teams, and monitor budgets
- Self-starter, quick learner; able to work independently, thrives under pressure and takes on difficult challenges;ability to meet deadlines
- Fluency with the English language ability to speak, read and comprehend
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada
- Be willing to submit to a police background check and comply with the policies of Knox Church
- Have a high capacity to thrive in a complex and demanding ministry environment
How to Apply
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply by sending their resumes in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than July 22, 2019. We appreciate all applications, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Knox Church is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to an employment opportunity, please advise our HR representative of the accommodation measures, if required, which would enable you to be interviewed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially
Posted Under: Pastoral
Career ID: [ 7052 ]