Toronto, Ontario , M4R 1H2
We are a growing community learning to follow Jesus Christ and transforming lives at Yonge & Eglinton in Toronto. In an age of distractions and self-promotion, we seek a deeper rhythm.
Purpose of the Position
To form teenagers in the Christian faith by providing relevant and age-appropriate programming, teaching, and pastoral care, in the context of a Family Ministries team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare sessions and lead Sunday morning programming for Junior Youth, Grades 6 – 8.
- Prepare sessions and lead Sunday morning programming for Senior Youth, Grades 9 – 12.
- Prepare sessions and run Midweek Youth Group on Tuesday evenings, September-June.
- Prepare sessions for and teach Confirmation Class.
- Organize separate social and service events throughout the year for Junior Youth and Senior Youth.
- Plan and lead key youth events such as the Maundy Thursday Vigil and Festival of Light (Christmas Pageant).
- Develop pastoral relationships with youth.
- Recruit, train, and manage Youth Ministry volunteer leaders.
- Work with the Nursery Minister, Children’s Minister and Associate Priest for Parents and Families to create a cohesive vision for Family Ministries.
- Maintain healthy relationships and frequent communication with parents of youth.
- Participate fully as an active member of the staff team.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience Required
- A baptized follower of Jesus who worships regularly with a church community.
- Passionate about the spiritual formation and discipleship of adolescents.
- Experience working with pre-teens and teenagers.
- Confident teaching the faith to teenagers.
- A firm theological grounding and willingness to explore difficult questions with youth.
- A person with initiative who is able to plan and implement innovative programming.
- Passionate about leadership development with experience developing leaders (teenagers and volunteers).
- Adept with social media.
- Strong communications skills.
- Excited about collaborating with a strong team.
- Compensation package: competitive salary, pension and benefits.
- 20 hours per week, with a focus on Sunday mornings, Tuesday nights and Tuesday staff meetings. However, due to the nature of the work, some weeks will involve more hours, which will be balanced with fewer hours other weeks. The most concentrated periods of work are Advent/Christmas, Lent/Holy Week, and September. There is also a year-long weekly evening commitment to Midweek Youth Group/Confirmation Class.
- This position reports to the Associate Priest for Parents and Families.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume to the Rector at hr@stclements- church.org. The application deadline is Friday, August 2, 2019. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Posted Under: Ministry - General
Career ID: [ 7061 ]