Night Support Staff - PTOC
Night Support Staff - PTOC
The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services - food, clothing and housing, and support services – education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta and British Columbia.
Night Support Staff work closely with Mustard Seed guests by encouraging them in their journey and connecting them with programs and services so that they can have a positive coordinated exit from the shelter. Nights Support Staff are on the front line and respond to guest needs on an ongoing basis. Night Support Staff also work alongside our many volunteers and ensures that they are supported, trained, and cared for. Crisis intervention and conflict resolution are daily occurrences for this role.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- The first point of contact for guests seeking shelter, food and clothing.
- Support the dignity of our guests by seeking to identify their needs in a respectful manner.
- Encourage and assist guests to seek internal resources and services that support guests in achieving their goals.
- Be a supportive and proactive team-mate to fellow support staff.
- Provide crisis intervention as required.
- Attend meetings and training as assigned.
- Maintain guest records.
- Respect proper boundaries with guests.
- Support and work alongside volunteers.
- Support the ministry within the Mustard Seed Community.
- On-Call responsibilities.
- If called in you must be able to be at the shelter within 1 hour.
- Act as a positive Mustard Seed ambassador.
- • Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications and Skills
- Post-secondary education an asset
- 1-year experience in social work or counseling preferred.
- Strong people and communication skills,
- Knowledge of mental illness and addictions;
- Customer service experience;
- A self-starter with the ability to work in a cross-functional team
- Desire to serve in a Christian street ministry
- Strong desire to work with a marginalized population.
- Experience working with volunteers.
- Shifts are 8 hours long: 10:00 pm – 6:30 am as scheduled Friday , Saturday plus two on call shifts per week o On Call week one up to 24 hours, On Call week two up to 18 hours. o If called in you must be able to be at the shelter within 45 minutes.
- The working environment for this position requires moderate amounts of walking, climbing, standing, sitting, lifting, carrying, and daily interactions with colleagues and guests.
- This position is often fast-paced, and requires moderate amount of mental effort to analyze information and problem solve.
- This position requires the training and usage of two-way radio communications; MS Office based computer programming, as well as the HMIS database system
- Employment Security Check is required
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
Start date: once a suitable candidate is found
Apply online using our Position Application Form on our Careers page.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 7065 ]