Street Level Worker, Full-time
Street Level Worker, Full-time
Red Deer, Alberta
The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and British Columbia and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services— food, clothing and housing, and support services—education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta and British Columbia.
The Mustard Seed helps improve the lives of Albertans experiencing poverty by building community, growing hope and supporting change. Through enhanced visibility, and relationship building, Street Level Services strives to make the ministry centre a safe and welcoming environment for guests, donors and volunteers. The Street Level Worker will provide an identifiable and visible presence within the Red Deer Campus, that optimizes safety, builds relationships, and values people. The Street Level Worker is the primary point of contact for clients, volunteers, donors and all other visitors as they enter the premises. Crisis intervention and de-escalation resolution will be daily occurrences for the role.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Partake in the very important work of building trusted relationships with the most vulnerable citizens in Central Alberta who access the programs and services at The Mustard Seed Red Deer
- Supervise building access, security of the property both internal and external, the receiving and receipt of donations
- Ensure the Street Level team maintain an enhanced visible presence across the property, perceiving and responding to opportunities that will optimize safety, and build community through positive interactions
- Support Shelter and neighborhood guests through intake, basic case management, referrals, supporting and helping to build a safe and respectful environment
- Liaise information between the day Street Level team and the evening Shelter team as this role will support both areas in Basic Services
- Greet and ensure volunteers and donors are treated with excellence and appreciation
- Partake in and/or coordinate exterior overall property cleanliness • Attend meetings and training as assigned
- Assess any given situation, greeting the guests at front line and be the first point of contact to resolve confrontational situations with the guest population
- Keep all client information confidential
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications and Skills
- 1 year experience in a social serving agency and/or counselling experience
- Education in Social Work; Psychology; Counselling and related fields considered a strong asset
- Front line experience in a social serving agency an asset
- Ministry experience considered an asset
- Strong Customer service experience an asset
- Strong desire to work with a marginalized population
- Good relationship building and communication skills
- Some knowledge of mental illness and addictions
- Working knowledge of MS Office computer applications
- Experience working with volunteers
- A self-starter with the ability to work in a cross-functional team
- Desire to serve in a Christian ministry
- This is a permanent fulltime role consisting of 40 hours per week Monday to Friday with two types of shifts each week: Monday/Wednesday/Friday 2:30pm – 11:00pm & Tuesday/Thursday 1:30pm – 10:00pm
- This position will require working inside and outside in various climates, and will involve moderate levels of physical effort, including but not limited to, standing for long periods, walking, climbing stairs, bending, lifting, and pushing donation carts.
- This position requires focused mental effort, including but not limited to, adapting to an often fast-paced environment, operating a computer, using two-way radio communications, perceiving and quickly responding to crises within and around the premises.
- Employment Security Check is required
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status
Start date: once a suitable candidate is found
Apply online using our Position Application Form on our Careers page. (https://themustardseedhr.wufoo.eu/forms/position-application-form/) The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, and wellness days. We embrace the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 7091 ]