Food Services Worker
Food Services Worker
Medicine Hat, Alberta
The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and British Columbia and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services— food, clothing and housing, and support services—education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta and British Columbia.
The Mustard Seed is committed to helping people who are homeless transition toward and maintain sustainable and healthy lifestyles. Reporting to the Managing Director – Medicine Hat, the person in this position will oversee the operation of the kitchen and will be responsible for providing meal service for clients/community.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the delivery of a healthy and nutritious meal program including researching nutritional information and creating menus that fit the budget and available donations;
- Supervise cleaning of all Food Services areas to ensure health and safety standards are met;
- Order the food and supplies necessary to maintain the successful daily operation of Food Services;
- Preparation and serving of meals.
- Implement the procedures, standards and policies of the Environmental Health Services guidelines regarding how food is prepared, handled, and stored;
- Provide information to the Managing Director regarding kitchen renovations or improvements and the repair, or maintenance of equipment;
- Identify problem areas and suggest methods to improve overall operations of the kitchen;
- Oversee the day-to-day management of Food Services.
- Provide direction, supervision, and training in food handling procedures to volunteer meal groups, community education groups, individual and volunteers
- Track statistics and prepare reports, as required;
- Adhere to health and safety policies and procedures to ensure a safe working environment;
- Ensure refrigerators and storerooms are organized and maintained in the various kitchen areas on a daily basis and that all food products are stored in accordance with provincial regulations;
- Update, maintain and implement kitchen procedures, including keeping a current manual.
- Receives, verifies orders and stores all purchased food and kitchen items;
- Receives donated goods, sorts and moves to appropriate area;
- Oversees stored food rotation;
- Respect and follow necessary boundaries with coworkers, volunteers and guests
- Tracks statistics i.e. temp. audits, serving stats, Fine Op,s.
- Greets and welcomes all donors in a professional and respectful manner;
- Maintains cleanliness of kitchen; i.e. floors, countertops, walls.
- Works in dish-pit, cleaning cook ware and dishes.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications and Skills
- Formally trained in Food Services and or a minimum of three (3) years’ experience working in a commercial kitchen environment.
- Have a valid certificate from the Alberta Health Services Food Safe course
- Be willing to take any necessary training the Mustard Seed requires – NVCI, First Aid
- Good organizational skills are a necessity for menu planning, staff scheduling, food ordering and planning special events.
- Computer skills are a necessity. Email and data entry are essential parts of this position.
- A valid driver’s license is an asset. Food pickups may be required.
- Ability to lead a team consisting of paid staff, volunteers, and guests
- This is a full-time position with some flexibility and there will be lifting involved.
- Employment Security Check is required
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status
Start date: once a suitable candidate is found
Apply online using our Position Application Form on our Careers page.
The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, and wellness days. We embrace the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 7098 ]