Medicine Hat, Alberta
The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and British Columbia and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services— food, clothing and housing, and support services—education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta and British Columbia.
Reporting to the CEO, the Managing Director is responsible for the overall development, integration, and implementation of basic services, support services, managing grants, raising funds and being the face of The Mustard Seed in Medicine Hat. The Managing Director is an experienced social sector leader that directs outcome based programming and a dynamic team in the goal to end homelessness. The Managing Director builds and maintains positive relationships with local, provincial, and federal partners.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Build an effective team by providing leadership and direction to the Medicine Hat operation
- In collaboration with the CEO, develop, implement and oversee the strategic direction of the Medicine Hat operation
- Work with the faith based community and local churches to build a close relationship, which will gain support and acceptance for the work of The Mustard Seed in Medicine Hat
- Set clear goals and measurable outcomes for the Medicine Hat operation
- Work collaboratively with other executive and managing directors in other cities in coordinating and facilitating program planning that reflects the mission and strategic directions of the organization
- Attend bi-monthly senior leadership meetings in Calgary or call in
- Oversee and assist in fundraising, managing grants, the development and management of the operations budgets and contracts
- Monitor and evaluate performance of the teams of management, staff and volunteers and provide regular, appropriate and constructive feedback to allow them to develop the required skills and succeed in the organization
- Communicate with key stakeholders both inside and outside the organization and maintain ongoing relationships in the community, in order to continually assess the success of the programs and determine which services to add, enhance, or replace
- Support the involvement of volunteers by providing credible leadership and by ensuring all programs follow Mustard Seed volunteer strategy, policy and practices
- Foster team culture that aligns with The Mustard Seed Best Christian Workplace vision
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications and Skills
- An undergraduate degree in business management, theology, service delivery or other related field, or equivalent combination of experience and education
- Minimum of 5 years of organization leadership experience
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working with the homeless population/not for profit organization
- A personal relationship with Jesus Christ and active in the faith community
- Experience in strategic planning, program evaluation and program development and budgeting
- Proven ability to network and build strategic partnerships.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Superior communications skills
- A team player; willing to roll up their sleeves and help out where and when necessary
- Presentation skills would be an asset
- Able to delegate and empower others
- Some travel will be required, specifically to partnering organizations and between Mustard Seed sites
- Employment Security Check is required
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status
Start date: once a suitable candidate is found
Apply online using our Position Application Form on our Careers page.
The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, and wellness days. We embrace the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 7101 ]