English Congregational Lead Pastor
English Congregational Lead Pastor
Who are we?
The English congregation of SCCEFC is a young and vibrant community of over 180 people of primarily, but not solely, Canadian-born Chinese descent. We have a history of 30 years in a strategic location in south-central Calgary. Our desire is to become a multi-cultural community of faith for the sake of Christ and his kingdom. We believe that greater diversity as a community will better prepare us now and in the future for embodying and communicating the good news of the Gospel in Calgary and into the world. We are looking for a pastor who shares this desire and has the leadership experience to help us see it come to fruition.
We are unusually young, with over 70% of our congregation comprised of: youth, college and early mid-career, and young families. Our congregation has been given a solid spiritual foundation, and we have gifts and energy to apply to a greater vision. The pastoral candidate will need to be able to “connect” authentically with this younger generation, but more importantly be able to walk with them as they grow and mature in Christ.
As a community, we are committed to honest and vibrant worship; we value relevant and Biblical teaching that challenges our thinking, faith, and practice. Additionally, we have a large and lively children and youth ministry with a full-time Youth Pastor and Children’s Ministry Director. We have a growing dedication to home-based Life Groups and believe them key to our spiritual renewal and mission. Our next pastor would share this commitment. We wish to be a deeper community in our care of one another and the care of others outside the congregation. We are looking for a pastor whose vision is larger than our congregation, but who seeks ways for the church to serve the larger community. Our church also has a commitment and practice of strategic short-term missions to several places around the globe that we seek to deepen and enlarge.
While the English congregation has its own space for worship, we are a multi- congregational church and have the privilege of sharing the same building with our 400+ Cantonese congregation and a growing Mandarin-speaking congregation of over 100 people. Not only do we share a common building, we also share people and resources and so we enjoy the opportunity and challenges of working together as the people of God known as SCCEFC. The successful pastoral candidate will be able to work interdependently with these two other congregations.
Summary of Pastoral Role and Responsibilities
The English Congregational Pastor will be one who will help us prayerfully and joyfully:
- Develop and implement the strategic plans of our congregation, in accordance with our mission and vision statements, for the next part of our journey together as a community who desires to become more cross-cultural in its life and expression in Calgary.
- Exercise their gifts of teaching and encouragement through creative and relevant Biblical teaching in the pulpit, as well as in other formal and informal contexts such as seminars, Christian education, and small groups. The successful candidate will be expected to model small group participation and/or leadership. They will also be responsible for the overall ministry of Christian formation for the congregation.
- Participate in our corporate worship by guiding Sunday worship ministries in conjunction with the worship teams and in leading the celebration of the Lord’s Supper and baptism. They will also contribute to the planning and celebration of other worship events during the Church calendar year.
- Provide pastoral care and oversight to individuals and other ministry groups. Areas of need are pre-marital and marital counseling, spiritual direction in terms of career and family, and anticipation of maturing life events.
- Train and encourage existing leaders and participate in reproducing new leaders through mentoring and discipleship; helping them develop their own spiritual gifts and calling in Christ. He should desire to see ministry cultivated, not controlled.
- Encourage and enable healthy relationships and communication within the English congregation as well as between the Cantonese and Mandarin congregations.
Requirements and Qualifications
- A personal and family life that reflects 1 Timothy 3.1-7, Titus 1.5-9, Acts 20.28, and 1Peter 5.1-4. Demonstrating their ability to exercise self-care with a rhythm of work, worship and leisure, engagement, and retreat for self and family. They are expected to take time to become good neighbors to those in the community where they live.
- Enjoys working collaboratively and cooperatively cross culturally and cross- congregationally with a sense of humor and possessing genuine humility.
- Have graduated from an accredited seminary or theological school with an undergraduate degree in a ministry related field. A M.Div. or equivalent degree is preferred.
- At least 5 years of relevant pastoral experience in an urban, North American setting having gifts in strategic and creative planning as well as gifts of teaching in formal and informal contexts. Experience working in a multi-disciplinary staff environment would be an asset.
- Fluent in English with excellent written and oral communication ability.
- Possesses cross-cultural gifts and/or experience either overseas or in North America.
- Ordained or willing to undergo the licensing/ordination process of the Evangelical Free Church of Canada.
- In full agreement with the SCCEFC Statement of Faith, constitution and by-laws.
If you believe that the Lord is calling you to serve with our church, please email email@example.com with your cover letter and resume.
Posted Under: Pastoral
Career ID: [ 7182 ]