Front Desk Support Worker - Part Time
Front Desk Support Worker - Part Time
The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services - food, clothing and housing, and support services – education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta and British Columbia.
The Front Desk Support Worker works closely with The Mustard Seed guests by encouraging them in their journey and connecting them with Mustard Seed programs and services. Front Desk Support Workers are on the front line and respond to guests’ needs on an ongoing basis. The Front Desk Support Worker also works alongside our many volunteers and ensures that they are supported, trained, and cared for. Crisis intervention and conflict resolution are daily occurrences for this role.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- The first point of contact for guests seeking shelter, food and clothing;
- Support the dignity of our guests by seeking to identify their needs in a respectful manner;
- Encourage and assist guests to seek internal and external resources and services
- Greet donors, guests, staff, and volunteers (anyone that comes through the Seeds Doors) appropriately and with respect;
- Process donations, provide answers to guests and the general community member’s questions, and support the team with efficient communication both on the radio and the phone. Multitasking is essential;
- Provide crisis intervention as required;
- Administrative tasks, such as, maintain guest records, write accurate logs, and ensure that all front desk forms are updated.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with volunteers, guests, staff and community;
- Maintain a tidy and organized work environment;
- Manage parking lot related issues and inquires;
- On-Call responsibilities and other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications and Skills
- Diploma/certificate in relevant discipline
- Experience as a receptionist or office assistant;
- Strong people and communication skills,
- Knowledge of mental illness and addictions;
- Ability to deal with sensitive and confidential information;
- Good organizational and time management skills;
- Proven computer skill (Microsoft, Excel and Outlook)
- Excellent customer service skills;
- A self-starter with the ability to work in a cross-functional team
- Desire to serve in a Christian street ministry
- Strong desire to work with a marginalized population.
- Experience working with volunteers.
- 8.5 Hour shift, 2 days a week with possibility of on-call Saturday, Sunday 7:00am to 3:30 pm
- Fast paced and demanding work environment;
- There is minimal physical effort required for this role. Essential job functions include the use of word processing software, spreadsheets, proficient in email communication, and Microsoft Outlook.
- This position requires a focused amount of mental effort to analyze information and problem solve. • Candidate must be able to perform multiple tasks simultaneously
- Desire to serve in a Christian ministry
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and sign our statement of faith.
- Employment Security Check is required.
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
Start date: once a suitable candidate is found
Apply online using our Position Application Form on our Careers page. (https://themustardseedhr.wufoo.eu/forms/position-application-form/)
The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, and flex days. The Mustard Seed embraces the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 7193 ]